Stone Ruination IPA 2.0 (8.5%)

Discussion in 'The Beer Forum' started by Ian Robinson, Feb 10, 2018.

1. 1A316C62-9C27-4E59-8816-8A31E2593F91.jpeg DFBBB5DB-8A5C-42E8-BC37-88071F072169.jpeg
    With Stone turning out IPAs at an alarming rate, I’ve often felt that their Ruination 2.0 was somewhat overlooked. With a 3.0 being promised for 2018, it was high time I gave some drinking time to the 2.0 while it was still on the menu.

On tap in a 16oz tulip glass at Stone Brewing Escondido, this piney, sticky, finger licking and resiny IPA opened with a lovely hoppy aroma accompanied by rich flavours of orange, lemon and lime with a good dosing of hops. Mid-flavours brought grapefruit and gooseberries, giving way to a gentle bitter hoppy finish. This IPA was smooth and soft on the palate and held its alcohol well, especially when compared to the old “standard" Ruination DIPA.

I’m intrigued to see how the Ruination 3.0 manifests itself, being that Stone Pale Ale 2.0 was a commercial disaster, with Stone taking it off the market at a rapid pace of knots, to be replaced by (what I considered inferior) Stone Ripper Pale Ale!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. My TN of Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0: 330 ml can, brewed in Berlin. ABV is 8.5%. Bought at Vinmonopolet Sauda. Golden colour, slightly hazy. Moderate white head. Strong aroma of piney and grapefruity American hops, also hints of tropical fruits. The flavour is first medium sweet and fruity, then a solid and resinous hoppy bitterness sets in. Good beer.