Supermarket promotions 2021

I hit a personal low yesterday in M&S grabbing a discount coupon from the used-receipts bin underneath the self-serivce till (sanitised hands straight after!)

Haha. Been there, got the t-shirt

No joy yesterday so I ended up buying one bottle to get a coupon and then bought remaining bottles in batches of £70 to get multiple discounts as the coupon can be reused as many times as you like at self checkout.
Credit to the till attendant who had to keep coming over to approve the purchases for his patience

You forgot the matches and bottled water :D
I had to go to the Tesco next door for those!

Nice haul. Did you ask them to dig out a case of the tour de Pez from the stock room?
Thankfully the nice man was re-stocking and had it in his trolley, and was only too happy to let me have it. He also updated the pricing ticket for the Marksman after I'd asked him to price check it.

But looks like he bought a valentines card so he’s safe :cool:
Good spot!

New Lidl range out today and I see Tom has kindly written up some notes on a few of them.

Not a lot of interest in the bargain bins but there was some Outlook Bay Pinot Noir and Collin-Bourisset Pouilly Fuisse (same producer as the Julienas from the previous selection).

Still on the lookout for some Ormes de Pez if anybody has spotted some in Dorset but no luck so far.

Similar situation for me this morning with Tour de Pez and Denbie’s Bacchus.
Shelf was cleared of both and none out back when I asked unfortunately.

The only slight consolation is I paid the Lidl up the road from M&S a visit and they’re clearing the winter wine tour wines for £3.99 as suspected.
I’d hoped for some comte senneval vintage but no joy. However I did score 6 Vidal Icewine and a couple of Spatburgunder for £3.99 a pop.

I’m trying to resist this leading to a wild goose chase as I’m sure any savings I might make are offset by the amount I end up spending on petrol!

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the 2016 St Julien or Margaux, the 2018 Bacchus Reserve or the Chablis from recent acquisitions?
The Bacchus was a bracing mix of cat's pee and pears. Not my thing.

Tour de Pez - good acidity, red friut, lighter than I thought it would be. Great value at £10.

Lurton St Julien - purple fruit, smooth, vanilla, silky, mellow. Only 'good' value at £10. Not sure I'd keep it for long.

Last edited:
Agree the Bacchus was bracing but delicious and always different, a very well made wine with lashings of stainless steel no doubt, if you like that style, at £6 not much to dislike, although probably wouldn't go chasing the proverbial gaggle for it. Would run through a few fields of wheat for the Chablis though, that was excellent, can see why one would clear the shelf at that price. The Malbec mentioned further up at £7 down from £15 showed some elegance and I thought it was half decent, although a wine I tend to eschew for being so popular. So picked up a few of those for guests (if we ever get to have any again) as it's a good example especially at that price. So much for dry January! I left 6 of the Chablis on the shelf in the Charlton store not too far from The Valley, if anyone's in the area, no price reduction markers as yet so you might be in luck!

Lurton St Julien - purple fruit, smooth, vanilla, silky, mellow. Only 'good' value at £10. Not sure I'd keep it for long.

I also cracked a St Julien a short while ago to see if worth returning for more
I’d agree that this is the lighter and smooth spectrum of bdx. I never usually drink bdx so young other than to sample but this feels ready now. Equivalent to a 3rd wine of a classed growth for early drinking:

Very approachable. Tastes like a junior Bordeaux. Soft and very quaffable. Red apple, cherry and plum fruit, light cedar note. Shortish lighter finish, soft tannins.
If you want wine to drink now with bdx characteristic I would recommend to buy. It’s enjoyable to that extent
Blind I would price it at ~£12+ but feel a bit hard done by at £22

Having bought 2, I won’t rush out for more for now as I have plenty to drink but it’s make a decent enough gift for those not loaded to the hilt with wine:)