Supermarket promotions Q2 2024

Never been spotted in either of my local Lidls.
Likewise - no luck in London / Surrey Lidls I've tried... Has anyone bought / spotted in this area?

On a wider note, I always hear the "oh but their wine is good" stuff about Lidl and Aldi - but I've genuinely never had a good bottle. Maybe for another thread but I'd be interested in some recommendations.

Strange because I’ve seen it at all my local stores and plenty of it too. I’ve picked up a few bottles but haven’t got round to trying it yet.

Finally found this now mythical status wine! Though don't expect to see it on the usual shelf / aisle - this was in a separate reductions section near the checkouts, and yes, now down to £5.99... Will try tonight and decide if I need to go and pick up the remaining 5-6 bottles they had.

falde-jpeg.38055

Attachments

• Falde.jpeg
    Falde.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 686
So how did you find it?
Very enjoyable! I agree with some of the earlier comments - it's quite neutral but in a good way, the first thing that strikes me is that it tastes totally unadultered - unexpectedly so at this price. For £5.99 I can't see how you could do better or expect any more. Also has impressive length for 12.5%.

Now I'm annoyed I missed out on their Etna Rosso - will certainly keep an eye out for future wines from the Generazione Mille898 brand.

Joining Waitrose from tomorrow 25% off 6+ Sainsbury, Tesco, Morrisons (excludes Champagne).
Waitrose order done :)

I love the lighter red burgundy styles and one of my favourite in my budget is Savigny-les-Beaune Domaine Jean-Jacques Girard. It's back in stock and around £18 with the offer. They have another one of this Domaine too that works out at around £27 a bottle.

I have also placed a Waitrose order. Ordered a selection of Penfolds and some Vina Arana Rioja Gran Reserva 2016 which seemed like a good price after the discount

Is this the Rioja to go for at Waitrose? They have quite a few I am tempted by at a similar price point, but I don't have much experience with them - also have been told Waitrose vintages on the website are not always reliable but not sure if that's the case:

1. Vina Arana Gran Reserva (£27.74 on offer).
2. Muga Selección Especial Reserva (£20.99 on offer)
3. Finca Martelo Reserva (£21.74 on offer).
4. Jesús Madrazo No. IV Rioja (£21.75 on offer).

John X Merriman seems a keen price from Waitrose (£13.50 after discount) so picked up a few. Worth leaving in the cellar for a decade. Thought Querciabella looked a good price until I realised it was not the 'grand vin' Chianti. Bought a bottle anyway out of interest.

For anyone on the Faldo hunt, I picked up a dozen bottles in Warwick last night (quite a few events coming up) with plenty more on the shelf.

Is this the Rioja to go for at Waitrose? They have quite a few I am tempted by at a similar price point, but I don't have much experience with them - also have been told Waitrose vintages on the website are not always reliable but not sure if that's the case:

I've had all these bar the Muga a bunch of times, and think they're all decent at the price point. If the style is your bag then you won't go far wrong.
Arana is obviously by La Rioja Alta, but so is the Finca Martelo and Madrazo used to work at Contino, so all valid credentials

looks like Arana is OOS on the cellar site now.

If you're exploring their rioja range at Waitrose, LRA Alberdi, Cune imperial and Contino Reservas are also worth a look on top of your list and Jim's suggestions

I've got a £100 John Lewis / Waitrose voucher - I guess it makes sense for me to be patient and wait for a 25% off 6 bottles campaign or something similar... Let's see if I can resist.

Any updates on whether Waitrose may do such an offer for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend?

Turns out my Waitrose and John Lewis "E-Gift card" does NOT work for Waitrose Cellar... Of course I have still placed an order:
  • Chateau Musar 2017:
    • Couldn’t resist a Musar – I don’t think I’ve tried a vintage younger than 2001 so 2017 will be interesting (if that is what I end up getting).
  • Cabutto Tenuta La Volta Barolo.
    • Wanted a Barolo, never tried this. No vintage indicated… Let’s see what Waitrose vintage roulette has in store.
  • Ca’ Bertoldi Amarone 2015:
    • Similar to above, I just fancied an Amarone, and this had a few great reviews.
  • Finca Martelo Reserva 2015:
    • A few of the Riojas I’d initially wanted were out of stock.
  • Yalumba Vigil 2017.
    • I recently tried the Yalumba Octavius 2010 and it was incredible – haven’t tried the Vigil before but I am intrigued.
  • Lustau on the QT Fino (50cl).
    • The Waitrose Cellar description says one of 306 bottles… Surely a typo? In any case I love lighter Sherries (Fino, Manzanilla).

Last edited: