Supermarket promotions Q4 2021

I am undoubtedly tedious on the subject but in 1960 a bottle of Mumm Cordon Rouge NV was the same price as a bottle of La Tache 1952. Champagne has never been cheaper.

Last time I had Cordon Rouge it was more than decent. It was a couple of years ago though.
I'd be fascinated to taste an NV as it was in 1960, in pictures it's always dark yellow.

I've seen a rumour that the current Sainsbury promotion will now run to 19 December.

Morrisons have 25% off 3+ on their their 'best' own label range, I think until 9 December. The highlight is a 2010 English fizz, producer unknown £25 -> £18.75. I believe Blue Light card holders get a further 10% discount and some bank accounts are also giving rebates on Morrisons spend.

Is it possible to find out what shops have stock of certain wines?
For JS, add the wines you're interested in, reserve a click and collect order and it should show wines not ranged in that store as 'unavailable'. You might have to re-add to your basket if you need to try other stores.

Alternatively, the CS line should be able to tell you whether an wine is ranged in a particular store.

Neither route will tell you actual stock levels, not least because someone may have bought the stock between checking and arriving at a store.

So Sainsbury's told me that any "fine wine" level Champagnes are entirely out of stock at all stores, they haven't been delisted, but are "on-hold" pending resolution of "Brexit" and "Covid-19" challenges (no political responses please, I am just quoting).

Two very good South African cellar-defenders at keen prices at TEE in the 25% off: Kanonkop Kadette Cape Blend 2018/9 nets out at £6.75 and Bellingham Bernard Series Old Vine Chenin Blanc 2020 at £6 only. The latter was wine of the week at Jancis Robinson quite recently and is good value at it’s normal sticker price of £10 I think.
Champagne wise only Lanson Black Label at a smidge under £20 - relatively slim pickings for champagne in the big supermarkets this Christmas it seems…

So Sainsbury's told me that any "fine wine" level Champagnes are entirely out of stock at all stores, they haven't been delisted, but are "on-hold" pending resolution of "Brexit" and "Covid-19" challenges (no political responses please, I am just quoting).

Costco also reporting Champagne shortages when I visited on Saturday. What do you / we think is going on with the shortages in general? Is there a shortage at the producers themselves? Is the world drinking or hoarding more? Cannot all be Brexit / Covid surely, and if the latter, is that affecting volumes from the producers?

Thank you! I bought some bottles of the 2016. I think I may ... resist this 2017 at least for now and perhaps until the 2018 appears. That said, if I had my own, large cellar, it would be a different story!

Costco also reporting Champagne shortages when I visited on Saturday. What do you / we think is going on with the shortages in general? Is there a shortage at the producers themselves? Is the world drinking or hoarding more? Cannot all be Brexit / Covid surely, and if the latter, is that affecting volumes from the producers?

Demand is not extraordinary, just a demonstration on how difficult it is to get volume into the supply chain because of the logistical challenges of freight capacity and planning.

Demand is not extraordinary, just a demonstration on how difficult it is to get volume into the supply chain because of the logistical challenges of freight capacity and planning.
I think I read somewhere that the CIVC has reduced the agreed yields over the past couple of years to prevent Champagne prices falling in the context of reduced demand amid the pandemic. Perhaps that has something to do with it?