Supermarket wine

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Tom Cannavan, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Apolonia supermarket, Algarve

20180609_165851.jpg

2. That even puts Waitrose Canary Wharf to shame, let alone Lidl with their “must buy” (quote) £7.99 Crémant de Bordeaux.

Out of interest, what did you buy, Tom?

3. Tom Cannavan

I just put a mixed dozen together from the bottles in the photograph, 6 Montrachet and a selection of the rest.

Really? I brought quite a few bottles with me, so just topped up with some Solheiro Alvarinho. A truly massive selection of wines and spirits. Some hugely expensive single malts too, magnums and jeroboams of Cristal, etc. Fabulous produce all round though: Selfridges food hall in the sun :)

Graham Harvey and David Smart like this.
  4. I recently posted not quite as an expensive showy selection but in a normal large supermarket in Normandy (L’eclerc)

A cave. (Was a high end selection in corner ) they even had proper lighting in there.
    I was somewhat shocked I’ll admit.

That’s some selection though in original post.

7501ECB1-3730-4FD3-9DBD-921ABCDCBA72.jpeg

Graham Harvey likes this.
  5. Tom Cannavan

Mike, yes, those LeClercs with a proper cave are fantastic. Used to visit one near Saumur regularly and picked up some great things at reasonable prices.

6. I'd wait till the inevitable 25% off 6 promotion.

Graham Harvey and Tom Cannavan like this.
  7. That bottle of Montrachet has been there 3 years.

We are due to go again in July/August. Great supermarket , like the Super U in Beaulieu Sur M Most produce better
    Than Harrods.

8. Tom Cannavan

Someone might well buy it though - two Bentleys in the car park the other day, one a cabriolet in powder blue with cream leather interior :)

9. A bit like the average UK supermarket selection. Big names rather than stuff from interesting smaller growers.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  10. I remeber Apolonia from 1988: a traditional Portuguese supermarket, with the foresight to begin catering for the Northern European (but mainly British) ex-pat market. Brought in a number of British staples, spoke good English, developed an excellent butchery counter. Even then, it kept a good stock of almost exclusively Portuguese) wines, including some brilliant Bairradas. I was always a bit suspicious of the lovely bottles of good vintages of Port, which were for sale standing upright in a sunny window! It has just gone from strength to strength.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  11. 2012 vintage. Probably pox'd by now. :rolleyes:

Graham Harvey likes this.
  12. Or at the very least light-struck....

13. The staff are very helpful in Apolonia. Very knowledgeable in the wine department.

14. No quibbles either with replacing a corked bottle, last year in Galé, a Pintas Character

15. They heard you were coming, and got in a few bottles of your favourites.

Paul Anderson likes this.
  16. Speaking of DRC, one of our stopover hotels had AP de Villaine's Bouzeron Aligoté on their list. Obviously we had to order a bottle and as the sommelier overheard me explaining to Mrs A that it was a fairly rare wine and who M de Villaine was, I saw him going to chat with the owner (its a very small michelin starred auberge in Burgundy) and she promptly came over to tell me that their allocation was only 12 bottles a year. Needless to say, the wine was stunning and a relative bargain at €37.

17. Tom Cannavan

Not necessarily all favourites, but just things they know I like to drink of an evening.

18. Paul: your quote - "Speaking of DRC, one of our stopover hotels had AP de Villaine's Bouzeron Aligoté on their list. Obviously we had to order a bottle and as the sommelier overheard me explaining to Mrs A that it was a fairly rare wine and who M de Villaine was, I saw him going to chat with the owner (its a very small michelin starred auberge in Burgundy) and she promptly came over to tell me that their allocation was only 12 bottles a year. Needless to say, the wine was stunning and a relative bargain at €37."
    We are always on the lookout for fine auberges to stay in Burgundy - especially small, Michelin-starred ones that sell Aligote at @ €37. Do tell me the name and location, please.

19. Is that Pétrus a special label for Dutch customers?

[​IMG]

20. Is De Villaine that hard to get hold of now?

We rocked up unannounced in 2004 and had a full tasting, taking home whatever we chose from the list. Still have some bottles from that trip.

21. Tom Cannavan

Despite these being in what appear to be proper Eurocave type cabinets, I guess they might be facsimile bottles with the real ones elsewhere... ?