NWR Thames Path

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Andy Leslie, Dec 4, 2018.

1. I'm planning walking the Thames Path next year from the source of the river to the Thames Barrier (I know in some quarters the source is controversial, but for better or worse I'm starting at Kemble in Gloucestershire).

I'm thinking there are forumites with local knowledge of places along my way and who might have recommendations for points of interest - so for example I'll build-in some time to look at the Stanley Spencer Gallery in Cookham and to doff my cap to Magna Carta at the new memorial at Runnymede, but where else is great spot that I shouldn't miss?

What about pubs with good food on the river? BTW, I'm not planning poncy restaurants along the way, so Waterside Inn/Heston etc are off the agenda. Maybe do something in London but I'll sort that nearer the time.

All recommendations welcome - thanks.

Alino Punzalan and Neil Holland like this.
  2. Interesting Andy - I hope you have a wonderful time doing it. I can't vouch for the food fully, but a pub in London that is right on the river is the Ship in Wandsworth (right by Wandsworth Bridge) and right nearby is the excellent Brady's serving fish only - grilled or deep-fried (evenings only except Saturday I think).

Andy Leslie likes this.
  3. Don't forget to pop into the River Caff at Hammersmith....

4. You'll obviously be welcome to pop into Chez Palmer at its new location. Only three or four minutes walk from the Path and usually serving pretty un-poncy food.

What about Cliveden?
    Eel Pie Island?
    Keith's Garage?
    Fullers Brewery at Chiswick
    Hogarth's House in Chiswick

Keith Prothero and Andy Leslie like this.
  5. Only to the Thames Barrier? There is another wonderful section all the way down to Erith where the Thames really opens out into a surreal hinterland! Crossness Sewage works ( a think of beauty inside!) ; Thamesmead and it 1960s Brutalist architecture; weird bliss.

In Greenwich I recommend the Trafalgar and Cutty Sark pubs....

Alex Jagger and Andy Leslie like this.
  6. On the longest day this year I ran the whole section from Windsor to the Tower bridge - 53.5 miles. Only one way to explain that: character building.

Here's some places, from Henley to Tower Bridge:

The Angel (there are two, either side of the bridge), Henley. - Good for a pint in either, one is better than the other for food.
    Glass of wine? - Pop up to Chiltern Valley Winery (a vineyard). About half hour walk up the Hambleden Valley (v. pretty).
    Stag and Huntsman, Hambleden. A proper pub, old school.
    The Bounty, Bourne End - a 'classic' pub right on the river. No car access to it - only walking or by boat. Check opening times as it can be variable.
    Hand and Flowers, Marlow. Not too far away, but there are other good places in Marlow within striking distance less ponsey.
    Windsor Farm Shop - not too far from the path (10 minutes walk; a place to pick up the fixings for a picnic, or a sandwich & cake in the caff).
    Windsor Castle - hell of a place, but you'd need time (at least a day) to do some justice to it.
    Windsor and Eaton Brewery - One minute from the path (literally). good beer. Their pub (George and Dragon, Eton) is good.
    Two Brewers, Windsor. Run by the same guy as long as I can recall. Good wine list, good beer, good clientele. 10 mins from path.
    Hampton Court Palace - you literally walk past it.
    White Cross, Richmond. Not a bad place except if it's sunny - It will be rammed.
    The Ship, Thames Bank. Good place for a beer.
    The Cat's Back, Point Pleasant (Wandsworth). A fine establishment (pub, again!), worth a stop.

The section from Henley to Marlow is pretty but the Marlow to Maidenhead section is a bit less interesting (essentially skirts Cliveden). Maidenhead to Windsor is OK, and following that (after Old Windsor) you get into Greater London. You know it when you go past Heathrow and under the M25 at Staines on Thames. More housing, real suburbia and quite a few swaps from side to side of the river. After Kingston and to Richmond is longer than you think, then the even longer section to London (the river meanders a lot). The bit near Battersea and Vauxhall is a route-sign sketchy (keep an eye on the temporary signs) due to the super sewer and power station regeneration. After you go past MI6 it gets mad busy with throngs of visitors. I'd stay on the north side of the river after Barnes if I did the journey again.

7. I remember the last section to Erith from a few years ago, I was really surprised there was still so many factories and warehouses right by the river.

8. That's what I love about the forum - I've lived in Battersea for nearly forty years and I've never seen or even heard of the Cat's Back - somewhere to explore later this winter.

9. Brilliant! Just what I needed. Thanks everyone.

Happy to hear more.

10. Perhaps we could organise an informal (South) London offline for you! I think the term offline could even extend to meeting up for a pint of well-earned beer somewhere.

Thom Blach likes this.
  11. If you were to do a bit of Kennet as well then you could add the Harrow in Little Bedwyn though might constitute "poncy" based on the the original post. Have eaten at the Five Alls in Filkins with Darren Brogden it is a mile or so north of the river but excellent fare - not sure about Lechlade itself.

12. The City Barge at Strand on the Green is also a pleasant place to stop for a beer and a snack - just north of the river over Kew Bridge.

13. You could always pop into Fiume (Francesco Mazzei's of L'Anima fame) which is an Italian restaurant right next door to Battersea Power Station for a spot of lunch/dinner. I've eaten there a couple of times now and is well worth a visit

14. Interesting what Roger would have to say if someone described to him HiLB as 'poncy'.:eek:

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  15. Oh, around Tower Bridge/Rotherhithe- definately go to the Mayflower pub. Beautiful old, historic pub!

16. At this rate you'll be utterly hammered by the time you get to Richmond, never mind Tower Bridge

17. Thanks again! On the whole by the time I get to Kew I'm on familiar ground, and I appreciate the everyone's efforts to make those last sections into a pub crawl! :rolleyes:

What about things to look forward to between Oxford & Windsor?

18. Ooh, if you're a fan of Alfie, the church is there on the river in Battersea.

Speaking of Battersea, you could hang around the heliport for twenty minutes and see what it's like for the locals.

Andy Leslie likes this.
  19. Slough

20. Reading

Actually Thames Lido on Kings Meadow in Reading has a very good Spanish restaurant / Tapas bar and is right next to the river.

Andy Leslie likes this.
  21. The Swan in Pangbourne is reasonable enough although the outside gets very busy in summer

Andy Leslie likes this.
  22. You could also call in at The Priory in Roehampton for a couple of nights if things get a bit much with all these recommendations - it's only a couple of miles from the Thames:confused:.

Andrew Stevenson and Andy Leslie like this.
  23. One place that’s worth a visit near Lechlade is Kelmscott Manor in Kelmscott village. It was William Morris’s country house. It’s an exquisite Cotswold-style manor house, very close to the Thames, with plenty of Morris memorabilia on view.

Bill Marks and Andy Leslie like this.
  24. None of the riverside pubs in Oxford are much good for food. The stretch between Goring and Pangbourne is certainly one of the nicest, of course, though I would imagine it's all pretty pricey around there.

25. The food is excellent, the wine list superb. When I was there the sous chef (hired from the navy as part of a scheme to help service people adjust to civilian life, I think) was also doubling as a waiter, which only added to the atmosphere, as he talked about the food while the chef cooked.

The food was only marginally poncy, and the owner is anything but - he's Australian FFS!

However, getting a reservation can be hard. So I'd advise anyone reading this to make one far in advance. Especially if visiting London from overseas, and you want to "Double Chez" - doing Chez Bruce and Chez Palmer in one weekend, as many do.

Also, you pay a high price for all the positives. My head hurt for days after my visit, so copious was the wine.

I wonder if I'll ever get to go again, and fear I may not - it's very exclusive.