The definitive Red Burgundy wine glass?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Mark Carrington, Nov 27, 2018.

1. I've tonight been asked what I want for Christmas. Well, except for the Dukla Prague away strip, I can only think of a pair (or two) of Burgundy Pinot Noir glasses. But which? Recommendations welcome.

2. If you want analytical glassware that tells you exactly what is going on Zalto . If you want glasses to flatter the less successful Riedel Vinum.

3. I use Gabriel Glass all the time. Very high quality, excellent value and works well with a lot of different wines not just Brugundy.

4. I use various glasses, with no clear favorite for all Burgundies. The Riedel Vinum Pinot Noir XL and Zalto Universal are maybe the best overall, very slightly over the Zalto Burgundy and the Riedel Vinum Burgundy (my favorite for Nebbiolo-based wines, by the way), so I'd say choose whichever strikes you as aesthetically most pleasing. A number of Burgundy producers have shifted this year to Zalto Universal for tastings at their estates (and they've been used for quite some time by many top German and Austrian producers).

Several Paris restaurants that are serious about wine use the Gabriel glass; to me, it's fine, but not in the league with the others mentioned above.

5. Surely far too subjective to get a definitive answer.

I've moved to Zalto Bordeaux mostly for the slightly better aesthetic feel than the Burgundy, actively dislike like the Universal for Burg but like for some Champagne, and cannot argue with anyone who says just buy a box of Restaurant Riedels cos it's a great glass for both white and red burgundy.

I drink a bit of young Cabernet here, not my most favourite thing but needs must, and i often slosh it into a riedel Burg rather than the Bdx and it mostly flatters the wine a little.

Raymond Tilney likes this.
  6. Also, I'm sure you clocked it but The Sampler had an attractive offer for Zaltos out.

7. ...normally I would say “..the one in front of you” :-j ... but in this case and for me, It would depend on the age of the red. For young wines I use the “open up” series from a Chef & Somelloer and for older mature wines a Zalto Red Burg bowl.

Mark Carrington likes this.
  8. Also a big fan - I find them better universal glasses in terms of function than the zalto universals. The non-gold model is about as good an everyday glass as I've ever come across. I think I'd want a bigger bowl for Burgundy, if I was really trying to show it off. They are outstanding value, too.

The Sophienwald red glass might be a better alternative given the slightly larger bowl

Perhaps you can ask the people who do the blind tasting Riedel glasses whether they can introduce Dukla Prague colours for you Mark? Two birds, one stone etc.

Raymond Tilney likes this.
  9. I don't like the shape of Zalto glasses.

And I'd rather spend my money on wine than fancy glasses that break.

Maybe I'd see things differently if I were rich :).

Best regards,
    Alex R.

10. Riedel Vinum for me. Others have their merits but a bowl is essential, one loses at least half the pleasure in a straight sided glass and as far as I'm concerned the Zalto universal is poor for burgundy.

11. Fair do's Alex but whoever told you they break (more than other glasses) was giving you misinformation - they are remarkably resilient and dishwasher friendly too.

12. I've been using Winestar glasses for years. They're less easily available in the UK than they used to be but you can still order them from Austria. They're cheap (about 5 euros each) and really tough, so they last a very long time.

13. What we perceive as taste is heavily influenced by what we see, feel (and even hear) . For me, the fineness of the rim is incredibly important. I love the Zalto burgundy glass but the answer to the question is really to choose the one that you find the most aesthetically pleasing to look at, handle and feel on your lip .

Thom Blach and Alex Jagger like this.
  14. Hard to give a definitive answer here Mark as you'd expect, but overall I favour the Riedel Vinum for burgundies having tried them side-by-side with the Zalto over the past couple of years - that outcome surprised me because I like the very thin rims and lighter weight of the Zaltos. To be fair the Zalto is almost as good as the Riedel Vinum, but also not quite so practical, taking up a lot of real estate in storage and on the table. For cabernet wines, the Zalto bordeaux wins hands down though - it's a beautiful glass too. The universal works well for lighter whites (say Soave, Collio, Muscadet) and fresh young reds. To be honest, I've never even tried burgundy in one. Whether you choose Riedel or Zalto, you are unlikely to be disappointed. By the way, what do you use currently for burgundy?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  15. My best team was Brazil, largely because the goalie was very straight, not curved back like most of them were. Made some great saves.

Never owned a DPAK but for some inexplicable reason I did have BMG from Germany :rolleyes:.

Sorry, everyone...

Mark Carrington and Peter Webb like this.
  16. As i get older (and I’m quite old compared to many here) I am probably getting lazy. I reckon I use Zalto Universals almost 90% of the time now. Tend to use Riedel Chianti second most, with my Schotts a rare third (this applies for still wine...fizz is way more complicated, except I mostly put petnat in the Univs).

I did seriously consider getting some Zalto Burgs, but after trying them I wasn’t sure it warranted the investment. You see, I consider six the minimum, enough for four people plus two spare.

Thus far, my Univs have been resilient. In the three or four years since I bought six only one has broken. I’m quite strict on insisting only I dry them. Not only do I feel I will be hyper-careful, it means I’ve only got myself to blame if and when one gets smashed. Our tap is high above the sink so you’d need to be pretty pissed to hit it, so I allow K to wash them :)

Alex Jagger and Mark Carrington like this.
  17. Love the thread hijack, David especially as I am seeing HMHB on Friday in Manchester.

On the subject of stemware I am quite tempted to find some more shelf space for Zalto as I find the Vinum a tad thick for my liking so this is actually a most useful thread.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  18. Big fan, but then I would be ;).

19. Very good suggestions already and given I drink so little red stuff of any persuasion any thought should be viewed as more about the glasses than their qualities to convey the wines within.
    That said I am be becoming convinced that generally Zalto’s are better at poviding analysis than outright pleasure.
    Perhaps it is a subliminal influence but their angular profiles don’t seem to accord with a comfortable, luxurious experience such as one gets with the Sophienwald range.
    What I can say is that the Riedel Sommellier Burgundy should not be overlooked, it has a beautiful traditional bowl shape and when I have had the odd red burg it has delivered.
    I think the shape is exactly as Tom’s suggestion, and whilst the Sommellier range are usually finer in rim thickness the particular one I have is actualky quite a clumpy example, a neighbour broke my original one which was very thin and my Mum got me this replacement for Christmas about 14 years ago before she passed on, I imagine that is part of the reason that I am so fond of it.

20. I've become rather lazy and use the Zalto Universal for just about everything. I don't care for the Zalto Burgundy glasses for use at home as I find them too cumbersome. I like the Zalto Bordeaux glass also and the Riedel Chianti/Riesling glass.

Graham Harvey likes this.
  21. Thanks for everyone's input, including the Subbuteo discourse.
    I try not to be too precious about glasses (& wine to a lesser extent). But circumstances have led me to believe I need to address the issue with regards Bourgogne rouge.

22. Not able to catch them this year. My LP of the year likely to be No-one Cares About Your Creative Hub So Get Your Fuckin' Hedge Cut.

Peter Webb and David Crossley like this.
  23. FWIW I reckon Zalto tend to work better with younger wines by highlighting the lighter fruits and aromatics but with mature wine I find this ends up overpowering the palate and stick with my good, old fashioned Dartingtons.

24. That could qualify for a post on the cycling thread, Mark

25. Alex J.,

You wrote "Fair do's Alex but whoever told you they break (more than other glasses) was giving you misinformation - they are remarkably resilient and dishwasher friendly too."

I certainly see your point. I tend to think of expensive glasses as being thinner and more fragile than the ones us plebs use (my good wine glasses are Spiegelau Vino Grande). But I don't have enough experience to assert that!

As for the dishwasher, I admire people who have the types of glasses and the confidence to machine wash them.
    I've always been leery of doing this, more to a fear of breakage than of any taste conveyed by the detergent.

Alex R.