TN: Ardbeg Perpetuum

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Nicos Neocleous, Feb 15, 2016.

1. TN: Ardbeg Perpetuum

Released in 2015 to celebrate the 200 years of the distillery. I was fortunate to visit Islay and the distillery in 2015. Weighing in at 47.4% alcohol, modest by Ardbeg standards. My number of bottles owned, Ardbeg is in my top 5 distilleries. I must profess to loving a good peaty Islay dram. Pale yellow colour, the nose brings a smile to my face. Pure peaty coastal bliss. I sniff and sniff and sniff. A sip or two revealed a bold core of peatiness with smooth edges. A warming dram not shy of its heritage, this is no wallflower but it has a balanced Ardbegness to it. Love it.

[​IMG]

2. Thanks for the note Nicos. I've been disappointed with the various limited editions since Galileo really, but the udi is still one of my faves.

3. Dipping my toes into appreciating Scotch Whisky more, generally prefer Bourbon and Rye. Had a Lagavulin 16 yr old that really turned my head last year and have since bought a bottle which is sadly reaching it's end. Will look to replace with something in a similar style. What would people recommend?

Sorry to drift slightly from your thread Nicos, but without Tom's post I might have ploughed straight in and bought a similarly aged Ardbeg.

4. Tom, I agree the bottlings can be hit and mis. What do you think of the Ardbog?

If you like peaty whisky like Lagavulin, then you should try Talisker (10 year old) and Highland Park (12 is nice, 18 much better). Also look out for Ledaig. When you are ready for a full on unique experience, try a 10 year old Laphroaig. All of these whiskies are from the islands. :)

5. A peated whisky with a sherry cask finish, Laphroaig PX is nice.

6. I hosted an Ardbeg tasting a little while ago - showed from current release 10, Corryvreckan, Uigeadail and then Galileo, Ardbog, Alligator, Auriverdes.
    Peat Heads in the room were pretty unanimous that Alligator was their favourite with Uigea showing reallly well too. Funnily enough Galileo was the least impressive on that showing - people liked Auriverdes but for me it seemed a little like Alligator Light - and was a bit something of nothing....

7. Bowmore's 15 Year-old 'Darkest' is another one in a similar vein. It was quite well received by both the peat and non-peat fanciers at Scotch tasting a few years ago.

Mahmoud.

8. I'd look at Kilchoman Loch Gorm or Ardbeg Corryvreckan if you're ok with the abv