TN: Laphroaig 15 years: 200 years of Laphroaig

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Nicos Neocleous, Oct 15, 2016.

1. TN: Laphroaig 15 years: 200 years of Laphroaig

I first tasted this at the Laphroaig Distillery in 2015 and bought two bottles on the spot. It is a special bottling to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the distillery being founded that was made from barley that was 100% smoked with peat at the distillery. For other bottlings, I was told at the distillery that only 20% of the barley was smoked at the distillery due to demand, the rest was purchased from the Port Ellen malting (smoked at 50 PPM). Bottled at 43% alcohol, it is a golden yellow colour. The nose is a heady mix of the peaty, medicinal, coastal profile that we, to coin a phrase, Laphroaig-heads, love. However, I also found some stewed tropical fruit in there as well. The mouthfeel has a nice sharp peaty edge, but this glides effortlessly across my tasted buds. Every sip brings a smile to my face. I do not think I could ever tire of drinking this delightful dram. For me, this is classically individual bottling of Laphroaig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I've always liked Laphroaig, from the early days when I drank the 10 year-old to the Quarter Cask which is now a favourite of mine. In fact I've just picked up another bottle of the Quarter Cask. I've had the 18 year-old but not the 15 year-old. Your note has me thinking of acquiring one but the prices here in Edmonton, Canada are a bit daunting.

Mahmoud.

3. The 18 year old Laphroaig's from the distillery that I have drunk a few times over the past 5 years have been disappointing, lacking concentration of flavour. This 15 yrs old is a joy to drink.