TN: Otard 3 Star Cognac (c1950's)

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Nicos Neocleous, Jan 14, 2017.

1. TN: Otard 3 Star Cognac (c1950's)

On a cold winter's night in London, I fancied an after-dinner warmer. This gold and cream labelled old school bottle caught my eye and so I opened it. I had owned the bottle for a while and I believe that it was bottled in the 1950's. A clear rich amber colour. The floral nose hits me with its complex charms, oozing citrus nuttiness from every pore. The mouthfeel is like allowing a small piece of cognac fudge to melt slowly across your tongue. Its pleasures spread gently across my tongue, warmingly unstoppable. Pure class - imagine Matt Munro singing the James Bond theme "From Russia with Love".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nice one Nicos. Did Cognac producers use the VS, VSOP, and XO categories back in the 50s, and if not what would the 3 stars on the neck label signify?

Mahmoud.

3. Thanks Mahmoud. My understanding is that Cognac producers did use these terms back then, though not all uniformly. It was only when the rules were codified in August 1983 by the French Government Body (BNIC) responsible for Cognac that they were standardised. So, there could be variation in what each producers included in their respective classifications back in the 1950's.

4. 3* is the equivalent of VS today iirc. However this is likely to contain more older cognac than a VS would today as the market was smaller then and producers were willing to age their brandies for longer than they do now.

Tradition has it that spirits do not age when bottled.However aficionados recognize some "glass ageing" does take place - though not always for the better. The main reasons for drinking old Cognac are I) because it was made differently then and ii) to compare with modern day equivalents.

5. I am glad to hear that someone else believes that some aging takes place but this is the first time I've heard the term "glass aging" and I quite like it. A couple of experiences with whisky have convinced me that spirits can age, once with a Canadian rye that had been in bottle for over two decades and then with a bottle of Laphroaig that had been stored for several years in a one-storey house in tropical, monsoon conditions.