TN: William Lawson’s - 8 year old Scotch Whisky (c1960’s)

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Nicos Neocleous, Apr 1, 2017.

1. TN: William Lawson’s - 8 year old Scotch Whisky (c1960’s)

This eight year old blend was bottled by John Burke Ltd, Glasgow sometime in the 1960’s. The colour would indicate a sherry cask influence which back then was more prevalent. Gorgeous nose of peaty car engines, diesel, some sherry sweetness and salinity. Is there a solid dash of Islay magic in this? Ardbeg or Caol Ila perhaps? The mouththfeel has a dash of sherry cask sweetness that quickly gives way to those peaty diesel engines again. Just a glorious retro bottling that I would love to be able to buy for a reasonable price on a regular basis. I can see why my father’s generation were very lucky to be drinking this quality of a ‘mere’ eight year old blend. Bloody good.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sounds lovely Nicos. I'm sure the quality that went into these blends may have been better in the past, in that there was less interest in single malts back then and more quality malts were able to be used. However, how much of a role do you think that time in bottle may have played in making this a better drink after what, almost five decades?

Mahmoud.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. Hi Mahmoud, I think the conditions this bottle were kept in may have had more of a positive effect that the ageing in the bottle.

4. As in poorly stored, with light and temperature fluctuations?

5. Yes. A cool place with no light is perfect.