Toms London Jolly

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Gareth J Welch, Oct 13, 2018.

1. A triumph!

Lovely to see old friends and what an eclectic range of wines and stuff.

How does l'homme lui meme do it, and keep his pink shirt do crisp.

:):)

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  2. Seriously we don't get up to town too often these days but my goodness this was SO worth the journey£

Tom Cannavan and Raymond Tilney like this.
  3. Gareth,
    Lovely to see you and Gill on such good form.
    You did identify the most memorable wine of the day for us all....there can be no doubt that it was truly unchallenged and in a league of its own. Nuff said!

I was pleasantly surprised to renew my acquaintance with Nytimber, the Demi-Sec was for me the most enjoyable wine of the day with their 10 based Rosé NV not far behind, though the afternoon tastings of that seemed less good than those around lunch, but that may we’ll be stupidity setting in as quantity took a toll.

The 15:00 hrs Piper Rare 02 served as confirmation that closure under Mytik changes the game (without getting into a for better or for worse discussion).
    Anyone who had this wine before can confirm that the recent disgorgement closed under DIAM is in no way recognisable compared with earlier cork sealed bottles.

The FMC and Constantine were really enjoyable, as Mike led us all in the hunt for richer and well just...... more!

A truly enjoyable day and credit to Tom C, and all from this parish who I am sure underpin the spirit and vibe that was felt within the hall.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  4. Highlights:
    Cà dei Frati ‘17;
    Wiston NV x 2 + BdB ‘10 ( other 2 rather drab);
    Noval- all esp ‘new’ Black;
    Buglioni Valpol;
    Howard Park (nb Petaluma has lost its way);
    FMC ( excessiveness now reined in);
    Vin de Constance ( but the price, ouch) WotD;
    FVD Margaux & St Julien ‘15;
    Foneca ‘85 (remains a brute - this will be going strong in 50 years time).
    Finish with Nyetimber BdB ‘10 - K’s fave.
    Looks like we should’ve tried the others......

Well laid out event & enough space.

Edit. Two others: Fouquet's ever reliable Vouvray Silex & first time tried Ataraxia Chardonnay.
    Further edit. FVD out of stock for Margaux '15. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 8:07 PM
  5. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Many thanks all. It's a day that passes in a bit of a blur for me, I arrive at the venue at 8 and leave at 6.30, and my bum didn't touch a seat between those hours. Exhausting but I get such a kick out of the reaction on the day and in posts like these, which truly make it all worthwhile. Wines? I tasted absolutely nothing apart from my own masterclass wines, of which the single vineyard Gavi Lugarara was a highlight, the gorgeous 2002 Deutz, and the very fine 2002 and 2003 vintages of the Roda I and Reserva, the 2002 being a particular favourite. but boy did I relax and enjoy last night's offline at Is Trompette. hopefully more on that to follow, but what a stunning showing from both food and wines.

Gareth J Welch likes this.
  6. Sounds like a Beau Jolly :)

7. Highlights - meeting some old familiar faces again.

The masterclasses - the Deutz one introduced me to some new wines, and reinforced the sheer quality of their NV and the 12 vintage. The Cuvée Deutz wines were very nice - the 02 the star - maybe not a massive leap quality wise upwards from the vintage though?
    The parcelles d’Ay was a strange one, I thought it soft and inoffensive, but Gill hated it and I don’t think was alone in that.

The Roda m/c was very interesting and fun. Very much modern-styled fruit driven wines to my taste, I possibly didn’t find that much variation between vintages as others with sharper palates might have - though my two favs were the 02 Roda1 and the 08 Reserva, so lighter Atlantic vintages.

The sparkling Furmints I started with and the dry single estate version were very interesting in a good way.
    I identified another sparkler that was also memorable in shall we say a different way. Details will only be released by PM to protect the innocent. But a certain V.Putin has already sent me a text.

I enjoyed the Hungarian Saber white too from the Wines of Hungary stall.

Mark mentioned the FWD St Julien, thought it was very good too.

I didn’t get to taste much other fizz - the Wiston Estate wines were a bit variable I thought. (Be tasting a few more English sparklers on Wednesday at the biennial Fareham Wine Cellars/Peake Wines portfolio tasting).

The reds - I remember enjoying the Portuguese Marques de Marialva wines very much and several of the Cabballo Loco line-up.

Finished up with a few ports - regrettably the Fonseca 85 had gone by the time we got there. But there was a heck of a lot of other good stuff. Too much to only just scratch the surface.

A really fun day, and I will be investigating Hungarian wines (and Portuguese) further that is for sure.

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  8. Congratulations on the reports of a successful event. But…..exhausted.... yet continuing in relatively short order to an offline at La Trompette.:eek:
    Oh to be young again with such recuperative powers :).

Less facetiously, and following Claude Kolm's report of his experience of a sudden significant rise in TCA tainted wines in recent natural cork-closed bottlings, was anything similar noted at the festival?

Tom Cannavan likes this.
  9. Tom Cannavan

Mark

32 bottles of Roda were opened and 2 were corked, but other than that we don't ask for stats from the exhibitors. Something we could maybe do in Edinburgh in 3 weeks, where upwards of 1500 bottle will be opened and although I don't know how many will have corks, I could at least ask the exhibitors to report back.

10. Well that's just over 6% so certainly not insignificant even though it is 2 bottles from a relatively small sample and although of concern these would have been well before 2016/17 as referred to in Claude Kolm's posts. However some still possibly 2011-14 depending on which Roda wine.
    Obviously if they were significantly pre 2008 it would be less surprising but 6% should be of concern to Roda whatever the vintage if this is in anyway significant statistically in volume terms.

11. Which Roda did you taste in the masterclass? Interested as we visited them last Monday!

12. Gareth,

By “parcelles d’Ay” did you mean the hommage a william deutz Ay?

Dan

13. Tom Cannavan

Nigel, Russ,

The list of Rodas:

Roda Reserva 2002
    Roda I 2002

Roda Reserva 2003
    Roda I 2003

Roda Reserva 2008
    Roda I 2008

Roda Reserva 2011
    Roda I 2011

14. Most probably Dan.

It was listed in the program as the Hommage a William Deutz Parcelles d'Ay 2010.

It didn't seem to find a lot of favour.

15. Tom Cannavan

Dan, yes. The list of wines shown by Jean-Marc Lallier-Deutz:

1. Deutz, Brut Classic NV
    2. Deutz, Rosé NV
    3. Deutz, Rosé Vintage 2009
    4. Deutz, Brut Vintage 2012
    5. Deutz, Hommage a William Deutz Parcelles d’Aÿ 2010
    6. Deutz, Cuvée William Deutz 2006
    7. Deutz, Cuvée William Deutz 2002
    8. Deutz, Cuvée William Deutz 2000

As I say, the only one I had a chance to taste on the day was the 2002 Willian which was beautiful.

16. Tom Cannavan

Gareth, this is the one-off wine made from two parcels of 1er cru Pinot Noir immediately behind the Deutz house in Epernay. Details and story were written up by me a few months ago (along with my impressions of many of the wines featured on Saturday): Elegance defined: Champagne Deutz | wine-pages

17. Thanks Tom

If the 'corked' Rodas were in the 2002 and 2003 group it would not be surprising however regrettable. In 2008 it would be worth considering as 'rather surprising' and definitely 'outside the new norms' for the 2011s.

Claude referred to 2016/17 in his post but frankly the major cork producers like Amorim should certainly be following up on any significant 'clusters' [as should the wine producers] post 2008 and certainly anything significant in 2016 and 2017 should definitely be flashing bright red lights. Of course the world generally is full of haloanisoles including some water supplies and even quite some years ago the Australian Wine Research Institute discovered that a significant number of haloanisole infections in wine were not related to cork closures - which also required that winery facilities as well as purchased corks needed to be kept protected from local infections including airborne.

Frankly 'corked' wine before 2008 and certainly before 2001 should, however regrettable and blameworthy, no longer be a surprise and is mainly related to a complacent cork industry that had a pretty useless set of harvesting, storage, production processes, facilities and protocols. As you know and have written about, 2001 to 2008 saw a major clean-up with major investment by the dominant producers with wine producers also becoming more diligent in their choice of closure and closure supplier.

As a result if Claude Kolm's experience is not an anomaly then others should be seeing something similar - which is why he asked the question about recent bottlings rather than seeking confirmation of a known history of failure in the 80s and 90s vintages with some slow improvements from the early noughties onwards. From 2008 the percentage of corked wine is generally reported as greatly lower whereas Claude's 6-10% is back to the worst of the bad old days.

18. Tom,
    Gareth and I had pours from the same bottle of Hommage Parcelles and it was perhaps that bottle that was less favoured than it was with others or indeed your write up bottle.
    The 02 William was indeed lovely once it had been in the glass a while, but for me the 2000 was in a great place at the moment and this is about to become a recurring theme for those who are lucky enough to still have some champagne 2000's

19. we had different bottles to your table in a couple of cases Ray and for me the 2000 was tired and over the hill. I think we had the same parcelles bottle though and my comment to my tablemates was that I think they would do much better making a rose to express the terroir (as Bara do so very well in Bouzy) as this wine just didn't have enough depth to it for something that is being sold for just under £100. I thought the N/V needed a bit more cellar time, the NV rose was showing very well, the 09 rose was a little transient with the initial vibrant fruit making a swift exit. The 2012 was already showing very well and to me at least was very much more 'Deutz' on nose and palate than some of the others. The 2006 was very approachable, the 2002 was certainly star of the show. It was a very enjoyable masterclass and pitched just right I thought for both those who knew champagne very well and those who were perhaps hearing a lot of things for the first time.

20. Quite some list. In the bodega we drunk all the latest cuvees. Mind you there were only two of us and we were left with 3 and a half bottles for an hour or so.

21. Tom Cannavan

One was definitely a 2002 - I had started to check the wines from oldest and spotted this, but then the presenter arrived and I let hime take over. When I returned another had been rejected as corked by him, and I *think* it was a 2008.

22. Deutz was heavily reliant on the Pinot of Ay for its house style, but that ethos seems to be changing (ditching William Deutz for the newer cuvees).

I have several bottles of the 2010 Parcelles d'Ay, but my first and only bottle was just "okay", a touch bitter (not dry extract), perhaps the Botrytis dominating too much.

23. Interesting - what vintage of Petaluma? I understand Croser is back?

24. Can’t remember the various vintages. Best was Cab Sauv but there was a pale shadow compared to vintages of yore.
    The Croser was NV & poor.

25. I meant Brian, not that cuvée - not that it makes much difference!

Mark Carrington likes this.