Food Truffle products

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Rob Lockwood, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Has anyone had any luck with the various types of truffle preservation products?

I think I've seen oil, salt, mayo, butter, cream, mustard etc, but I've no idea how usable they are, particularly how much of a truffle flavour they impart, and how long they last: the missus can't stand truffle so, like red wine, meat and art-house cinema, I'm on my own.

So Ideally, I'm after something which gives a fair bit of truffliness and lasts a bit. Failing that, if anyone's found a something short-lived that's very usable, I'm sure I can work my way through it by sticking it in soup, baked beans, on toast etc.;)

I bought some (artificially-flavoured) oil a while back but found it a bit OTT in a cream sauce.

Recipes / ideas also welcome.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. I use TruffleHunter black truffle oil to make truffle mashed potatoes. It’s a small bottle but lasts a while as you only need a small amount.

You can buy it on Amazon.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  3. I've used butters and creams before, and they are decent, but don't have a long life once opened. I suspect pretty much all oils are artificial, though some are decent and we'll usually have one in for a quick splash on a poached egg (as we did this morning).

Failing that, fresh black truffles can be relatively cheap, and Borough market had some good Essex truffles a few months ago. Personally I'd lean that way for an occasional splurge, as you could enjoy it easily over a couple of days / meals.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  4. Can anyone recommend a good white truffle oil? Is there such a thing? Obviously the point is for it to be much less expensive than the fresh product... but still to taste of real truffles not chemicals.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  5. Trufflehunter minced white truffle is excellent- £25 for an 80g jar of minced offcuts from proper white truffles, in a little oil which you can top up once opened. This is about enough for 2-3 very generous servings or 4-5 small ones (though I don't see the point in truffle unless you are going all out with it). As said above, the flavour deteriorates fairly quickly so it needs using within a week of opening really.

Amazon stock it with free delivery.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  6. Torres Black Truffle crisps are extremely moreish.

Ian Black and Rob Lockwood like this.
  7. Thanks all. Am I right in thinking truffle butter might freeze well, which I've done before with other compounds?

8. Indeed - Marks and Spencer recently removed them from stock and replaced with their own version, which are of Lineker-like direness. Fortunately other places still stock the Torres version.

Jim Agar likes this.
  9. Quelled surprise I was just about to post that I’d had some Black Truffle Crisps at the Winchester Wine Festival yesterday - really didn’t like them at all.

The only snack there I didn’t like.

10. Tartuflanghe are decent for truffle products.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  11. I've had 2/3 types of truffle crisps and they varied mucho in quality - will try the Torres ones. Some recent Kettle Chips "Truffled Cheese & Champagne" were nice enough, but you had to look very hard for the truffle.

12. Yep, I have routinely frozen truffle butter with no seeming deleterious effects.

Cheers

Dave

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  13. Rob, the Cheese Shop in town does 50g jars of Truffle Hunter black truffle slices in olive oil. I think these are very good. Open jar lasts at least a few days in the fridge, maybe longer, it’s just I’ve always used them by then. I added slices to dauphinois potatoes recently, to fine effect.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  14. As I understand it there is no such thing,partly because the shelf life would be hours not days.2,4-dithiapentane, made by the addition of methyl mercaptan to formaldehyde is what flavours the stuff. It is described simply as 'truffle flavour' or 'natural flavouring' on the labels of nearly all commercial truffle products. Truffle oil is superficially attractive and very potent but its most significant downside to me is that its more than very occasional use can dampen appreciation of the real thing. Truffle oils are very commonly used in restaurants to boost the flavour of inferior truffles whose appearance in a dish is largely for the sake of added value.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  15. Stop it Andy. You could cost me a fortune with ideas like that.....

Rob Lockwood and Andy Leslie like this.
  16. God I love this bulletin board.

17. The Courtyard Dairy near Settle do a truffled pecorino, which is one of the few truffled products which tastes and smells of real truffle and not artificial flavouring.

I have yet to find a truffle oil that doesn't taste slightly rancid to me.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  18. Yes we've had a couple of decent (black) truffled cheeses.

19. Some thoughts about truffles-white ones are usually good, black ones are usually not, white truffles need to be woken with just a little warmth, black ones need to be infused for a bit longer at a slightly higher temperature. Good ones of either colour offer an intoxicatingly pheromonal experience which I for one wish to experience sparingly. They are the garlic of the wealthy in all sorts of ways and to place truffle flavours near those of garlic is criminal tautology; and having tried all sorts of products I think it's better to have truffles occasionally and mostly not have truffles rather than use substitutes which I think are possibly corrupting to the palate.
    Asafoetida is the truffle of the Indian kitchen, it has many of the same decadently earthy and alliaceous qualities and takes a bit of getting used to. Always buy the difficult to find resin rather than the useless powder.It is very cheap, but is not to be used as a truffle substitute!

20. Does anyone have a view as to how the Croatian examples of white truffle compare to the Piedmontese? Obviously this is complicated by the less than scrupulous selling of the croatian examples in Alba...

I have just had an offer for white truffle that would be from Croatia (they mention it could also be from Tuscany) much below the price of true Piedmontese examples (£200/100g vs £365/100g).

21. Hi Oliver
    Difficult to say without the option to smell them yourself. Freshness is quite a factor on top of terroir.
    Regards
    Ian

Oliver Coleman-Green likes this.
  22. I was in Istria the weekend before last. However delicious the food is, it is not known for its innovation.

You can have truffles:

- on toast
    - on eggs
    - on pasta (with butter/cheese)
    - on cheese
    - on Boskarin fillet steak.

I think anything else might be outlawed.

Retail prices for white truffles ranged from €600 to 2000 a kilo. I stupidly mistrusted a cheap independent shop, reasoning that the dominant Zigante Corporation would be more reliable. The truffles they sold me smelled intoxicating in the shop but were very disappointing once scrubbed: one a mixture of unripe and rotting; the other fine but nothing to get terribly excited about.

I've had this problem before, which makes me wonder if there is widespread adulteration of uncleaned truffles with 2,4-dithiapentane to simulate true ripeness.

Lovely place, Istria, though.

23. Thom wrote:
    "Asafoetida is the truffle of the Indian kitchen, it has many of the same decadently earthy and alliaceous qualities and takes a bit of getting used to. Always buy the difficult to find resin rather than the useless powder.It is very cheap, but is not to be used as a truffle substitute!"​

I think asafoetida resin or oil is actually added to some truffle oils as a minor component. (Although as you say there is one distinctive principal component, like a lot of things in perfumery, if used on its own it brings other "off" unwanted sensations that need to be balanced out. I don't know what other things may be involved in making truffle oil).

Rob Lockwood and Thom Blach like this.
  24. In general Oliver, the Croatian white truffles are pretty good (we've had them in situ). Not as good as Alba whites, but the price reflects that. As Ian says, freshness is key.

Oliver Coleman-Green likes this.
  25. NV Ratafia Truffle, Domaine Didier Meuzard.

Very truffley. Heady, rich and oily. A shared glass went a long way (at the end of a long night).

I got from the somm that there were 60 bottles a year (or the particular year) and that it was produced from direct contact in tank with the truffles.