TWS: what are your Christmas crowd-pleasing picks?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by John Simson, Dec 6, 2018.

1. What entry/mid-level wines are you enjoying from TWS at the moment? I'm looking to pick up some bottles for the holidays in the £8-15 bracket and could use some advice. Apologies for the laziness of this request - I used to relish the research but two kids under 3 years old has left me desperately short on time/energy!

Thanks in advance

2. If you can push the boat out slightly - the Newton Johnson Albariño 2017 at £17 a bottle is very good indeed.

John Simson likes this.
  3. Someone generously gifted me the TWS membership last month. Amongst my first order will be Cà dei Frati Lugana I Frati '17. At £14 this is £3 cheaper than my local merchant.

Mark Temple and John Simson like this.
  4. I’m currently working my way through two dozen singles I picked up a couple weeks ago. Only drunk 4 thus far but I’d buy them all again.

The entry level Nero d’avola at £6.50 (can’t remember the producer) is a very good party pick. Convinced it had a touch of residual sugar but none the worse for it, perfect for when you need a crowd pleaser.

Really liked Pitti from Pittnauer, a wine I’ve bought for years and it remains as juicy and drinkable as ever.

Bajondillo from Jimenez-Landi was delicious, light on its feet, fruity if a little coarse but in the good sense.

Rainer Weiss Gruner was excellent, proper stuff and not too showy which seems to be an increasing trait of Gruner.

Such a good place to buy wine under £15

Jonathan Hesford and John Simson like this.
  5. The society Sicilian red is good, is that what Uillaim was thinking of?

There's a great Viognier for £9 ish from the Ardeche.

John Simson likes this.
  6. The Domaine Maby Lirac is a good crowd pleaser, and punches well above its price point quality wise.
    The Catherine Marshall & Newton Johnson SA wines in your budget look good ( a PN & a chard).
    The Quinta de Azevedo ,portugal, vinho verde is a standout bargain. Great wine at a very reasonable price. Its lighter than most wines of this season, and suits drinking on its own or with food.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Paul Anderson likes this.
  7. Do take a look at the sherries they carry - Sanchez Romate Maribel Amontillado, Sanchez Romate Fino Perdido, Cayetano del Pino Palo Cortado, Lustau La Ina etc - such incredible value and pretty Christmassy too. All well within your price range.

8. Got a few whites for your consideration John. Two ectopic rieslings are both good: Poderi Colla Langhe Riesling & from California Morgan Twain Peterson's Shebang. Also Pieropan Soave Classico is stylish.

John Simson and Andrew Stevenson like this.
  9. Following a tip from Guy on this forum the Galus is an excellent northern Rhône Côtes du Rhône with lots of cool black fruit and very food friendly. And navajos rioja blanco

GuyD'nis and John Simson like this.
  10. Great idea for a thread!!!
    I've just purchased an I'm-not-an-alcoholic-honestly amount of wine fro TWS for Christmas.

The Chatea L'Oisenliniere Muscadet De La Ramee at £8 is oustandingly good and a Chablis-like replacement. I prefer it to their more expensive wine.

John Simson likes this.
  11. A couple more, now I've time to think.
    McManis Petite Sirah, sweet punchy wine, surprising class.
    The Exhibition crozes, bit too young but very good.
    Coteaux d'Aix en Provence, La Source, Chateau Vignelaure 2017, lovely citrus tinged white.
    Pinot Gris ‘Les Prélats', Domaine Ginglinger 2016, tasted last night as part of an on line forum thing.

12. Fantastic, thanks so much everyone. You've saved me hours - will order many of these and let you know how I get on.

13. Btw, did you know that TWS has a forum of its own? Actually quite good, but perhaps the knowledge and advice here is better!

Russ Sainty likes this.
  14. John here are some wines that fall within the £8-15 at TWS. I have dragged them from the website so they should all still be available although I have noted that some of my favourites are currently out-of-stock.
    SPAIN
    Viña Zorzal Graciano, Navarra 2015 7.95
    Viña Zorzal Malayeto Garnacha, Navarra 2015 10.95
    Viña Zorzal Corral de Los Altos Garnacha, Navarra 2015 12.50
    Salvaje del Moncayo Garnacha 2016 8.25

FRANCE
    Côtes-du-Rhône Rouge, Guigal 2015 10.95
    Côtes-du-Rhône Blanc, Guigal 2016 10.95
    Lirac Blanc La Fermade, Domaine Maby 2017 10.95
    Picpoul de Pinet, Domaine Félines-Jourdan 2017 8.50
    Domaine Gonon, Mâcon La Roche Vineuse 2017 9.95

Jean-Marc Brocard, Chablis Sainte-Claire 2016 & 2017 14.95
    Stéphane Aviron, Domaine de la Madrière, Fleurie La Madone 11.95
    Vieilles Vignes 2016
    Pinot Gris ‘Les Prélats', Domaine Ginglinger 2016 12.95

ITALY
    Soave Classico Castel Cerino, Coffele 2017 9.75
    Biferno Rosso Riserva Palladino 2013 7.95
    Lugana, Cà dei Frati 2017 13.95
    Soave Classico, Pieropan 2016 12.95

I have drunk all of these [or previous vintages] over the past year but I have 'bolded' those I have had most recently. I hope it helps.

15. This has been a regular buy for many years. So much character and quality for the price.

Lee Knights likes this.
  16. We love this. First had it some years ago in a restaurant where it was (unsurprisingly) considerably more expensive than TWS

17. Hot off the press. Chateau Sante-Eulalie Cuvee Cantilene Mervois 2015 - this is a stupidly good wine for a stupidly good £13.

Just slamming one down right now (slamming is indeed the right verb judging by the amount of wine left in the bottle after 25 mins).

Minerally yes ripe red, balanced, yet soft and rounded - really this is very very good.

Neil Holland and Leon Marks like this.
  18. Just checked it’s the Isola dell Fiamma. Oddly I bought the Ardeche but I’ve not tasted it, glad it’s good!

19. V kind
    Rive Gauche, Rive Droite, which I mentioned at the same time, I think, was a complete crowd pleaser - but it was the 2016 I tried; I haven't tried the 2017

20. Good another to try!

21. Drinking the Vigna Corvino Montepulciano this evening. I bought it thinking it would be a light and zippy drinking red but it’s actually quite robust with some chalky tannin, bitter cherry fruit and some orange zest freshness. Quite a lot of wine for £8.

22. Not TWS but in case it's still of interest Waitrose have several well-rated wines at £10 [by Decanter in their Festive Buys section in the latest magazine ] which will return to £13-99 to £17.99 after the 12 December. I have not tried any of them but if I hadn't already settled our Christmas and New Year wine selection I would certainly be considering them.
    They are: 1. Villa Antinori 2015, Tuscany 92 points (£15.99), 2. El Piadoso, Gran Reserva 2008, Rioja 94 (£16.99), 3. Luigi Bosca, Single Vineyard Malbec 2016, Mendoza 93 (£17.99), 4.Chateau Lalande d'Auvion 2015, Medoc Cru Bourgeois, Bordeaux, 93(£15.99), 5. Rustenberg, Chardonnay 2017, Stellenbosch, 92 (£13.99)

23. I was tempted by the mature rioja case and a bottle (1l) of the blended 16yo whisky which remains a bargain as far as I am concerned. I did consider buying a few of the Réthoré Davy "Les Parcelles" chardonnay as a cheap white - has anybody given this a try?

24. Yes the Davy chard was ok but not a patch on his lovely red.

Rebecca Ayoub likes this.
  25. Wines in your bracket from TWS I have enjoyed include
    Edelzwicker Special Cuvee Cattin
    Clos La Coutale Cahors
    Bricco Rosso Langhe
    Both red and white Bergerac Tours des Gendres
    Saint Chinian La Dournie
    Marcillac Vieilles Vignes 2015
    Trimbach Pinot Blanc
    Languedoc Pourquoi Pas Blanc Valflaunes
    Mission Estate Hawkes Bay Syrah
    Momo Ribera del Duero