Unexpectedly good value wines from a pub meal.

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Andrew Blunsden, May 15, 2018.

1. It was a friend's 60th birthday last week and so my wife and I took her and her husband away for a night to a "Gastro Pub' on the Dorset/Somerset border. The night was very good value and the (10 course tasting) dinner very good. But what really struck me was the value for money wines we drank. A cracking Prosecco, a nice Picpoul de Pinet and a lovely Red Rhone. Not "grand wines" by any stretch of the imagination but easy drinking and enjoyable wines and not one cost more than £25. I know it is a long way from most places, so they have to try hard to bring in enough people to keep the business going, but I was very happy to find such reasonably priced, enjoyable wines.

Andrew Stevenson likes this.
  2. Obviously I do not know the pub in question, but I have also experienced excellent value from pub lists before - including a couple of those with Michelin stars. The Pipe & Glass in East Yorkshire in particular had some belting value the last time we visited - their excellent house Champagne (an RM bottling, though I forget whose) was around £40, and a half of mature Vieux Telegraphe was something like £25. The Star Inn Harome also worth an honourable mention.

Will Devize likes this.
  3. I am intrigued - which pub, Andrew?

4. The White Post at Rimpton. Family venture, chef cooks and his wife runs FoH. Very friendly.

5. Just the wrong side of the border! ;)
    Not far off a route we take when heading North - now on my 'to try' list.

6. Me and family were very well looked after at the Pig and Butcher in Islington recently, where the food was pretty good; and the £22 Languedoc Carignan was unexpectedly lovely: brambly and pale and energetic. They were v happy for us to try small samples for free too.

Andrew Blunsden likes this.
  7. I'm a big fan of this place and especially of their corkage policy which goes something along the lines of, 'BYO is welcomed as long as the owner can have a glass!'