Bad news from some friends of ours. We gave them a bottle of Champagne which they put in the fridge in their holiday home in Spain. They hadn't drunk it when the time came to return to England in mid September so they left it in the fridge, which was turned off with the door open. They've returned and found that the bottle seems to have exploded. A shame and some dried up Champagne sticks to the fridge. But a bigger worry is little shards of glass, some millimetres in each dimension stuck to the inside of the fridge, including the ceiling. Some very hard to see. I guess all they can do is try to clean said fridge very carefully indeed (painstaking) and not put anything in it without a lid for some time (not sure how long). Though any thoughts welcome. I assume an ingested shard of glass could be quite dangerous. I'm surprised, too. I can't imagine it was that warm, and either way wouldn't expect a bottle to explode like that. Incidentally, still wine bottles next to it seemingly unaffected.