Weekend drinking commencing 6 July 2018

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Raymond Tilney, Jul 6, 2018.

1. First up for us this three lions weekend, other sports are of course available including The Eclipse stakes at Sandown.
    A 2008 base Charles Heidsieck Brut Reserve.
    We shall be checking out a newly arrived champagne glass v's Debbi's LGD Sommellier which is the reference for this Cuvee.
    What's everyone else up to?

2. Tempted to open a 2012 Taittinger tonight with fish and chips; the wine is already drinking well.

Other than that, a 2017 Malagousia, Geravasilliou has the requisite crispness to fight off the shimmering heat of an early British summer eve...hold on, did I just type that?

3. 2012 Roederer Rosé this evening.

4. Champagne is the thing!

Jan-Tore Egge likes this.
  5. Well the missus wanted some Guy Charlemagne 2012, but even though closed under diam, was rather blowsy and lacking the mineral cut I desire in Chardonnays. Bottle variation for sure, goes to show it’s not all closure.

I opened the un-opened cases cases brought back from France earlier in the year, and discovered ‘13 Mumm Cramant! Well this is more like it, austere, clanging mineral Chardonnay where you have to search for the complexity (but when you find it ... bingo!).

Best of all in a bizarre Krug glass!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  6. Is not young Tilney rather down on Diam for Champagne?

7. Indeed. And I see where he is going, but we need to be careful, it’s not just closure that has changed at many addresses.

8. Just drank a Contino rioja reserva 2011 when watching France vs U. football with colleagues (football is still not my thing), it was again quite enjoyable for the price. Sunday we shall have a dinner, planned for beef, but this weather... I am in the mood of buying a chilled Bolly magnum... maybe something else? Let's see.

9. A Roederer magnum?

10. The school at which I work (or worked; I start a new job in September) broke up for the summer yesterday. I have almost finished my A-level marking, though the deadline is still a week away. And it was yet another glorious summer's day. At lunchtime, therefore, luxuriating in my newfound freedom and safe in the knowledge that my wife wouldn't be home from work for hours, I had a few drinks. First a couple of glasses of red vermouth (specifically Martini Riserva Speciale Rubino). Then a glass of Chateau Bel-Air 2004. 12% abv, simple, refreshing and quaffable - and from a magnum that I picked up from Waitrose a few weeks ago for £20 (less 25%, of course). Following that, a snooze in the garden. Life is good.

11. A 2016 Bellingham Bernard Series Chenin Old Vines from SA for me this eve. Cost a whole £5 from Iceland (yeah, i know...one has to really search for the true bargains). :)
    It's a lot of wine for a fiver. Slightly bitter peach tones (from the oak, i suspect), bit it settles down after a couple of hours to be pretty decent.

Keith Prothero likes this.
  12. Another Beck Ink tonight. Few better value wines for around a tenner.

13. An entry level Gaston Chiquet 2012 base (I forget the exact name - the 1er cru bottling), Nov 2016 disgorgement opened three days ago, also under DIAM was decidedly blowsy and imprecise. Couldn’t think of a better word for it and expected a bit more.

14. Have been drinking lots of Barolo and Barbaresco and one Pelaverga from Burlotto. Now in Liguria so probably lots of vermentino!

15. The Tradition? Yeah, seems like that Chardonnay is the culprit (from the Southern Cote des Blancs, maybe the Marne too), 2013 will be a better bet for Chardonnays from many Cru's.

16. It is scorching hot in Milan and you are forced to be inside with aircon most of the times... That did not discourage me to taste a delightful 2018 La Gitana Manzanilla En Rama. The creamy texture was a much welcome complement to the usual dazzling array (salt, iodine...) that comes with a Manzanilla.

We also had a great bottle of 2014 Kumeu River Chardonnay Coddington already showing some signs of complexity. Again here I could not help but notice the slightly glyceric palate that would set it apart from a White Burgundy (or some white burgundies). The bottle went faster than the two goals from Belgium. Nothing to complain from the Missus...

We are home tonight but with no much ideas on what to drink. Tomorrow by myself it will be most likely a bottle of 1997 Robert Chevillon NSG Cailles and the 2004 Robert Michel Cornas Geynale will be the centre piece of the action when I BBQ some steak for an old friend on Wednesday. Life is good!

Paul Dellar and Jim Agar like this.
  17. Me too. A half bottle watching the football later in my hotel room. Purchased from a wine shop I used to frequent when I lived in Tokyo.

18. 2018-06-22 (40).jpg
    Lunch is far from ready yet...

19. A producer I’ve only had one bottle from before and it was ok but nothing special and quite simple but I bought some old cases a retail shop was doing so starting my own little vertical. Very impressed but the corks and thought surely they can’t be original.
    1981, 83 and 85

7B9A41AE-2F03-4C54-B5DF-14604985AA5F.jpeg

93B0AC1F-799F-4938-9781-2CC35DF02430.jpeg

Certainly past their best but drinking. The 81 and 83 seem identical. Nose is just hanging in there but it’s smooth with a drying slightly sharp finish and the sweetness has all but gone.
    The 85 I noticed was 8% compared to 8.5% of the other two so with a couple of years youth on its side and a bit more sugar I had higher hopes.
    Indeed it is darker, still holds onto a bit of sweetness and has a rounded finish. Pleasant enough and though has the same almost lack of nose it’s a nicer bottle.

I will be sticking to the usual producers but was great to grab a few cases of older stuff that normally wouldn’t buy. I’d imagine the Auslese versions are doing ok.
    Very interesting to compare the years.

Richard_Brooks likes this.
  20. Blees Ferber 2003 Auslese . Bit sweet, honey and tropicals but settling down nicely and another 5 years in bottle wouldn’t hurt. Relatively simple but smooth and delicious. This will get drunk before the Jakobys that’s for sure.

21. 2013 Peay Vineyards, Pinot Noir Ama

I’m very impressed by Peay and even enjoyed the Chardonnay. These pretty lively vibrant Pinots are ideal for summer BBQs and lighter cheeses. They have a structure, depth and zip you often don’t expect and maybe that’s a negative if your looking at a classical PN but as a wine on its own it’s mid weight and lovely with plenty to offer.

Steven Pritchard likes this.
  22. I found this to have very good potential but it's a bit too intense and fruity for me right now. I think it would benefit from a year more.

Steven Pritchard and Simon Grant like this.
  23. Agreed Ben! It’s a whopper of a wine though.

24. Having been spited by the French (the Froome effect) & not been able to find a bar in this tourist hotspot showing the football ( rescued by Radio Five Live), eschewed anything French we fetched along. Mrs C didn’t fancy a celebratory English fizz So Hartenberg Riesling ‘12 - has to be a top 3 Saffer.
    The church has been ringing the bells for a good 15 minutes- to mark England’s finest 90 mins since 1990, so may open a Chiroubles or Bourgueil later, with dinner.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    Nigel Palesford likes this.
  25. D9F52966-6C5C-4FC5-A8BD-79CC545A8F08.jpeg
    Saluez Le Saboteur 2017 (£22 Wine Bank)

A new-wave SA blend of Chenin, Viognier and Sauvignon sealed under crown cap with some funky packaging.

Trying something a little different tonight.

Initially a bit reduced on the nose, swirling opens it up to quite a floral nose with the Viognier coming to the fore.

Musky lemon rind with some smoky/peppery notes opens up to quite a gummy/gluey mouthfull with a long finish, but it feels gluey instead of fresh (but not stale).

I’ve given it an hour or two but tbh it’s not really my cup of tea, but I can imagine some people really going for it.