What I'm looking for is acidity that dances on your soul...

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Daniel Brown, May 15, 2018.

1. "At times I think I may lose friends due to this love affair but for me acidity is the life of wine. You can keep your tannins and your massive structure, what I'm looking for is acidity that dances on your soul, to lift you and enliven you, to refresh you and make you beg for another glass. Acidity that will embrace the food you eat, to make the notes of it even brighter and clearer, to make dull company seem attractive, to make attractive company the most exhilarating experience you could possibly have. Acidity makes the world bounce and dance; it keeps us alive and sharp. The rest puts me to sleep."

It is an occasional joy when an email from Mark Haisma drops into the mailbox. This small passage from today’s puts so perfectly the joy of this ethereal pursuit that I thought it deserved a wider audience, and describes what i find in his wines perfectly. Thank you Mark.

2. And he makes wine in the Northern Rhône? Suggest he sticks to reds in that case;don’t want any of that filthy,acid stuff in my Marsanne thanks. ):

Jonathan Bubb likes this.
  3. Daniel, I cannot disagree. Of course, few of us want the battery acid found in a bottle of 1980s Gros Plant or red Vinho Verde. But what Mark says about food is spot on. It embraces food.

I remember the Bordeaux wines I cut my teeth on in that decade. Savoury, food friendly...and in those early years we are talking as much Saint-Emilion as Haut-Médoc.

Others look for other things, fair enough. But I am convinced that many are merely used to the wines Parker promoted so much that their palates have become settled to look for different things to me.

But I can remember when I gave up sugar in tea...then eased off the salt in cooking...then gave up milk in coffee (and tea). It’s nice to realise I’m not alone, though.

4. I forget who first said it (Hugh Johnson?) but I also think of acidity as being the energy and vitality of a wine. That being said, I also consider it to be a single component of wine, and there's no reason why a big, structured wine can't also be refreshing. I've encountered more than a few overly acidic and lean wines that are the result of trend-chasing, which is simply the other side of the coin to sacrificing freshness for huge flavours.

Regardless - lovely prose!

Stefan Bogdanski likes this.
  5. Few indeed, but there are some of us!

6. Of course. That band of brothers...but I mention those as examples of where acidity may just have tipped over in specific cases I recall (in situ).

Or, as in the case of our 2016 Seyval Blanc (9% after chaptalisation). I kick myself that I never saved you a bottle. If some wines put hairs on your chest, this took them off.

Ian Black and Jeremy Caan like this.
  7. A kind forumite gave me a glass of Perret's St. Joseph Les Grisieres 1996 the other day - remarkably like a 1996 Cote de Beaune burgundy in style, all elegance and very noticeable but enjoyable acidity. It's rare that N. Rhones ever show that lean-ness and high acidity (especially these days), but it can work.

8. Acidity of some wine is like this to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 11:40 AM
  9. No wonder I’m fascinated by the Hindu pantheon ;).