Food Wine pairing for pot-roasted partridge?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Oskar Brattström, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Hi,

thinking about cooking some partridges this weekend and found a recipe suggesting to pot-roast them on top of some red cabbage, onions, garlic, juniper berries, pancetta, a pinch of brown sugar and some red wine.

Never tried partridge before so have no idea what wine to drink with this type of dish.

Any suggestions welcome!

All the best,
    Oskar

2. Oskar, red legged partridge is a very mild meat unless hung much longer than anyone does nowadays and I don't think it will stand up well to all that. My favourite method is to spatchcock it then cook it under the grill. It is very easy, remove the wishbone with your fingers and a small knife, cut out the backbone with scissors,break and flatten the breastbone with the palm of your hand and locate the joints in the leg which you should snap apart as far as possible(at all times taking care not to break the skin) so that the bird goes pretty flat. If there is enough skin cut two small holes in it on either side of the front of the breast into which you insert the ends of the drumsticks to secure them. Season then paint with melted clarified butter or beef dripping and grill until nicely coloured, starting on the underside, it will only take a few minutes. A squeeze of lemon is all it needs though it will take any number of sauces and accompany any number of wines, red, white or pink.

3. We didn't have game meats available in Australia when I was growing up, so I found myself in a similar situation to yourself. If I were to be asked to advise a fellow innocent I'd start with this, or perhaps guinea fowl. The latter richer and more dense in flavour, the former more gently "high" or perhaps "perfumed".

From there I'd probably say that things tend to branch off into more "liver" flavours or more "high" flavours. Examples of the former being grouse, pigeon and perhaps venison and the latter including pheasant and woodcock et al.

The more "liver flavoured "birds can cope with (and often demand) more potently and wildly flavoured wines, the latter often require more subtle but complex wines to work with theirs. Chapter and verse can be written about these combinations and I've certainly been witness to whole evenings spent discussing the finer nuances amongst various W-P devotees, but the introductory species can be paired with quite a wide range of wines. Easy does it on the flavours and power levels though........

Thom Blach likes this.
  4. When I last had partridge, it was great with a Kiwi Pinot.

5. As Tom has said, partridge goes well with many wines. Perhaps the best match I’ve had was with a thirty year old Savennières. I usually find red burgundy agreeable and have had some success with older dry Alsatian whites.

Will Devize likes this.
  6. If I had a bottle of mature Romanee-Conti I would have it with a woodcock. But I don't.

Oskar Brattström likes this.
  7. Piesporter Goldtropfchen Kabinett

8. With that recipe? Musar 2003.

Alex Lake likes this.
  9. Is guinea fowl game? I don't think any are shot any more but rather bred for the table, but I may be wrong. The useful M&S guinea fowl I do recommend as being perhaps the only really good poultry that is very widely distributed,but it is more like good chicken than a game bird.

Alex Lake likes this.
  10. On the basis that it's a perfect combination of "the best" with "the best", or that it's a perfect combination of particular wine and it's matching food?

11. The latter. I've never had RC but I think I can guess what it's like. Though I may never know.

12. You and me both....

13. If you do it Tom's way a SA big chenin blanc would be good, as would white St. Joseph I think.

14. As usual, the more challenging question would be what wouldn't go with it? (excluding wines that are just horrible anyway!)

15. As Tom suggests, if you've not had partridge before, I don't think I'd cook it in red wine. Your recipe sounds very much intended for an old, gamier bird rather than any partridge you're likely to buy these days. Tom's cooking instructions sound ideal, though if you did want to pot roast, I think I'd use your recipe, but leave out the sugar (which would, in any case, be necessary only if the red wine were pretty bad stuff), and substitute a German riesling (Gutswein or Kabinett) for the red wine.

Oskar Brattström likes this.
  16. Yes, I suppose you are correct in the technical sense. In the general sense that we are looking at developing someone's taste for gamier flavours then it's probably more similar to game than commercial poultry or meats. The flavours can be quite a bit more pronounced in the case of the Bresse version which is sometimes available in the Ginger Pig outlets.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  17. I've never had one of them, I'm all agog.

18. If I see one I'll grab it for you.

19. I like Barolo/Barbaresco/Nebbiolo with both partridge and pheasant. Last weekend, Monprivato 1998 was stupendous with a simply roasted brace of the former.

Alex Jagger likes this.