Wines to go with this menu...suggestions sought.

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Edward Bolland, Nov 8, 2018.

1. 1A083FF4-2AE4-47E9-A699-9FCDA914DFBE.png

Any thoughts on wine to go with the above, particularly the raw beef and the onion broth?
    We are planning on taking some of our own wine and choosing some from the list.

Thanks in advance.

2. Champagne until the lamb, with which claret is the obvious choice.
    Does XO refer to the Hong Kong invented sauce of oil, chillies,alliums, ham and dried seafood or to cognac? I am surprised by the familiarity assumed but I do not have a beard.

Edward Bolland likes this.
  3. I’m not sure about the XO Tom, cognac sprang to mind but I dismissed it as being an unlikely combination. I might email the restaurant and ask.
    I can see Champagne working but I suspect that my fellow diners may be looking for a little more variety.

4. Most of those strike me as being almost wilfully wine unfriendly.

Leon Marks and Edward Bolland like this.
  5. Maybe a good rose champagne or a decent still bandol rose for the raw beef and a sherry for the onion broth, then serve a champagne with the seabream as a palate cleanser

Edward Bolland likes this.
  6. Your lovage is the wine problem with course one, but that would be sorted by a proper manzanilla- en Rama if you can. No champagne that I know of would be friends with this as well as being worth buying! The beef would look for a good pinot based fizz if asked, preferably bouzy or ay based and possibly called Paul Bara. Might also deal with the onion issue, but that would be better dealt with by heading back to Jerez and manzanilla pasada. Bream? Lilbert Nv springs to mind but so does a proper white Bordeaux given what’s with the bream. Something young but complex like DDC Blanc. With your lamb, if you can find it, Rioja Alta gran reserva 904 1995, served in a Riedel burgundy glass. It’s simply glorious right now. Got to be in a big glass though.

If you are cheesing then back to the rest of your manzanilla pasada. Or banyuls, or old rivesaltes, or...

7. Cor that's a really tricky one, Ed!

If it were me I would be looking at the main ingredient and ignoring the impact of the lesser ingredients completely.

I might go something like Crab - Chablis/Beef - something really aged Chardonnay or v creamy style NW/Onion - something also full bodied maybe white rhone or with a bit of spice to offset the onion/Bream - something light red and fresh to lift and refresh the palate/Lamb - knock them dead with a quality red Bdx or the Rioja as Chris suggests.

I'm very much of the school of drink what you like though and just have a good old rinse of water :)

Chiu Lin likes this.
  8. Crab with a Champagne
    Raw Beef with a young red Burgundy
    Onion Broth with a Côte Rotie
    Sea Bream with a German Riesling
    Lamb with a mature Bordeaux
    Cheese with a desert wine

9. That’s what I would do too.

10. This looks like a challenging menu (I can't stand lovage, nasturtiums or tapioca). Some alternative wine suggestions.

Crab - cava (Juve et Champs).
    Beef - cellar cool lighter gamay
    Onion broth - grand cru Alsace riesling around the spatlese level of sweetness
    Sea bream - good and mature Puligny-M
    Lamb - new world pinot noir, with SA edging NZ for me.
    Cheese - Belgian tripel beer

Alex Jagger and Thom Blach like this.
  11. Many thanks for all of your comprehensive suggestions, it is quite a difficult menu wine wise. Of course I should check with the restaurant that this menu on their website is the one that will be served on the day we go.

12. Are Simpson's doing corkage now? I ask because, some 11 years ago, although corkage had been arranged, they got a bit shitty about it when we arrived with our bottles. Though they did then relax and it turned into one of the most memorable of lunches.

My suggestions, off the top of my head would be:

Crab - Bacchus
    Beef - Bojo
    Onion - palo cortado
    Bream - NZ sauvignon blanc, preferably with little age on it.
    Lamb - Riesling Kabinett
    Cheese - well it depends, what cheese. Finish the bottle of any or all of the above. Any sweet muscat is a good all-rounder at this stage, whether SGN, de Rivesaltes or Rutherglen styles.

Odd that there's not a dessert on the menu.

13. Crab really doesn't do much for champagne.... not that I would let that stop me braking out some Bolly or similar.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  14. The brown meat, certainly, but the white meat alone I think goes very well, and IMO they should always be kept separate.

15. There is a dessert on the menu, I just couldn’t fit it in the screenshot. The people I’m going with and really drinkers of sweet wine so not of great relevance anyway.

16. OK my tuppence worth:

Crab: its almost always Riesling Kabinett to Auslese maybe Auslese if the sauce is spicy.
    Beef: Rose champagne
    Onion soup: Alsace Pinot Gris :)
    Sea Bream: Godello
    Lamb: left bank claret
    Cheese: Maury ( may go into the desert well)

17. It’s a bit all over the place in logical order for wine but I was thinking Riesling , Beaujolais with some punch like the 2015s , a white Rhône or SA blend. Nice Bordeaux for the end. The onion broth I would t really know but several wines already around so something would go :)

18. Always good to have contrasting types and ages. Matching doesn't have to be precise, especially if the wine is good.

Aperitif - something light, engaging, simple and delicious (e.g., Keller Scheurebe Kabinett 2017)
    Crab - decent young BdB Champagne, who cares if it doesn't go with crab that well (e.g., Krug Clos du Mesnil 2004)
    Beef - nice mature rose Champagne (e.g., Roederer Cristal Rose 1988)
    Onion - sherry might work, but a not too sweet Madeira might be magnificent (e.g., Sercial Conde de Carhalval 1808)
    Sea Bream - can't really follow the above, but have a sip of water, and start again with youngish white Burgundy (e.g., Ente Meursault Seve de Clos 2011)
    Lamb - any red you fancy, but maybe fragrant classic Bordeaux that is not too ancient (e.g., Haut Brion 1961)
    Cheese - something light and refreshing, Riesling perhaps (e.g., Willi Schaefer GD BA 2009, maybe sneak in a Ch Chalon from Macle [1989] or Perron [1976] beforehand)
    Digestif - something with a classic base, but refreshed and blended: not just age for age's sake (e.g., Esprit de Courvoisier)

Clearly, there are many substitutes to the above ... for the Madeira, a Sercial or Verdelho Colheita or recent vintage from Barbeito or Blandy's would be nice, as would the dryish Terrantez 1971 from d'Oliveira.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  19. Paul, I will be speaking to my mortgage adviser on Monday morning!:D

Mark Gough likes this.
  20. Many thanks for all of your suggestions, there are certainly plenty of great options which I would never have thought of.

21. I’d definitely go for amontillado, palo cortado or Madeira with the soup. As Hugh Johnson said many years ago, soup is liquid, so you don’t want to accompany it with lots more liquid. Better to sip something with a concentrated flavour.

22. Never really would have occurred to me to go along that route, thanks all you suggested. Will keep in mind.

23. Someone had to do it...

24. I guess the issue would be the effect on the palate of subsequent wines.

25. Except I really did mean you should try Alsace pinot gris with onion and cheese soup, it seems the perfect match to me, and I am not sure about any sherry with blue cheese - madeira maybe, but break the mould!