Woo hoo!

Which ballot was that one? I have had a Local Barley from the Springbank Society distillery ballot before. This year I managed to get a Springbank 25yo from the Cadenhead ballot and a Kilkerran 8yo bourbon cask from the Whisky Exchange ballot.

For several years I’ve put in to the ballot for a bottle of the annual release of the Springbank Local Barley 11yo and never got one. This year I did and it just arrived. Will I ever drink it? I hope so, but given where these go on the secondary market once released it will be a challenge.

Congratulations. Unless you are extremely wealthy, I would probably sell this, as secondary market seems to approach four figures, and I guarantee you it will feel underwhelming if you open it and give some thought to the missed opportunity cost of selling. I am currently halfway through a bottle of 10 yo which I bought for £55 which is about what I think it is worth to me, rather than the secondary market at four times the price. For me it is a joke that even the 10yo is flipped. Back in the day I've drunk a couple of bottles of 12yo cask strength, quite a few 10s, and an old label bottle of 12 yo. Springbank is lovely but sadly a "too expensive to drink" asset. However maybe @Andrew Jordan or others can tell me I am wrong and that he/they will be drinking his /theirs... fingers crossed!

Congratulations. Unless you are extremely wealthy, I would probably sell this, as secondary market seems to approach four figures, and I guarantee you it will feel underwhelming if you open it and give some thought to the missed opportunity cost of selling. I am currently halfway through a bottle of 10 yo which I bought for £55 which is about what I think it is worth to me, rather than the secondary market at four times the price. For me it is a joke that even the 10yo is flipped. Back in the day I've drunk a couple of bottles of 12yo cask strength, quite a few 10s, and an old label bottle of 12 yo. Springbank is lovely but sadly a "too expensive to drink" asset. However maybe @Andrew Jordan or others can tell me I am wrong and that he/they will be drinking his /theirs... fingers crossed!
The Cadenhead shop in London would be your best bet to find a Springbank 10yo or Hazelburn 10yo at retail. Springbank is lightly peated and Hazelburn is un-peated.

I did get a mail from Springbank yesterday saying they were doing a Countdown Collection series leading up to their 200th anniversary in 2028 whereby they would release one special bottling each year until then, limited to 500 bottles per release and all sold through a balloting system. Good luck getting those. I can only imagine what a full set of those bottlings would realise at auction.

@kevin heatherington - sorry looks as if I was wrong in thinking that your bottle approaches four digits in value, think it is more like a few hundred. Think this may make me more persuaded to just drink it and perish the thought of flipping.

@Andrew Jordan - thanks for the insight re the bricks and mortar Cadenhead London store, not really in a super convenient location for me, but glad to know just in case.

The first of the Springbank Countdown Collection was announced this week, a 27yo offering with a run of 500 bottles in a worldwide ballot. The price will be £2500 a bottle for any lucky recipients. I think you will have to be lucky as the ballot is worldwide.

This will be the first one in a set and we know how much collectors love a full set.

It isn’t that rare 15,000 bottles.
Is that for the standard Springbank 10yo?

I know the 25yo with RRP around £500 had a run of 1400 bottles this year.

I think Johnnie Walker annual worldwide sales are pushing 20 million cases (9l counts as a case so just over 12 standard UK bottles, abroad a 75cl bottle is more the norm than a 70cl)