Yup, a Chardonnay from Germany.

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by bob parsons, Dec 6, 2018.

1. TN: 2017 Herxheim am Berg Chardonnay Spatlese Trocken, Rheinpfalz.

Cooperative (Herxheim am Berg - Wikipedia). Owners of local winestore downtown found this interesting wine when visiting Germany in July. Turned out to be a good buy, Chardonnay from this area not well acknowledged.

$24 Cdn, Sc, 13% alc. Deep lemon color, nose has some smoke, apple, minerals, quince.."pear and apple" from across the table. More citrus after 24 hrs.
    Dryish, medium acidity, "maybe tad one dimensional" but I enjoyed. Nice balance , fair focus. Served blind would fool many! Nice mixed fruits and plenty of mineral tones.

Russ Sainty likes this.
  2. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

As Germany is now producing quite a bit of Pinot Noir in some areas, it would stand to reason that some producers would look at Chardonnay too I suppose - though I don't think I've ever come across one. Plenty of things like Pinot Gris in more southerly areas like the Pfalz, so Chardonnay would do OK there. Does the world need German Chardonnay? Who knows what the future holds I guess...

Alino Punzalan likes this.
  3. A few years ago I was served a surprisingly nice German sauvignon blanc. I'm not known to like sauvignon blanc but when I come across a non-NZ style one I quite appreciate them. I know I liked the German one to ask my friend to buy me a couple of bottles. Not had a German chardonnay though.

4. We enjoyed 2015 Oliver Zeter Sauvignon Blanc Fumé a couple of times during this year. The '17 isn't as good & decided not to buy.

5. They should call it Spatchardonner, surely?

Leon Marks likes this.
  6. Like others here, I’ve had a good few German versions of French varieties, but not Chardonnay as far as I recall. But as to whether the world needs a German version, well, they were saying that about Pinot Noir a decade ago (although I acknowledge one forumite is still saying that today :p).

If we acknowledge that world class Chardonnay is produced in Eastern Switzerland (I’ve only visited once but not an obvious location to my untrained weather vane), then I’d suggest the warmer regions of Germany have a chance.

Drifting briefly, Ziereisen is for me the pick of the German Syrahs, though Pfalz probably looks more promising over all for the future (Ziereisen’s Syrah vineyard has a special microclimate). Chardonnay can surely thrive if Syrah can. What next, I wonder?

7. In my defence, I like Keller. :) It does serious damage to the bank balance, though. :eek:

8. I don't know, there seems to be enough good chardonnay from around the world and not enought German riesling. I say the same thing about Tuscan cabernet/merlot/syrah.

9. A few years ago TWS sold a Chardonnay from Kunstler in the Rheingau. I bought one to try and it was a ringer for a decent Chablis.

10. Visited Weingut Danner in Baden a couple of years ago and they do a brilliant Chardonnay. First and only German one I’ve had. They told me then that it was illegal to plant Chardonnay in German until 2001. Never checked that fact, but would explain the lack of German Chardonnay!

11. Chardonnay can qualify for Grosses Gewächs in Baden. I've had good GG from Bernhard Huber. I've also had good Chardonnays from Rebholz, Knipser, and some others, but the truth is, Weisser Burgunder (Pinot Blanc) makes much more interesting wine in Germany, especially in the Pfalz.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  12. If that's so, then the law was not enforced. Not only have I had Chardonnay from vintages before 2001, I tasted Chardonnay in Germany in 1999.

13. I just googled it, not permitted until 1991, my memory failed me

Mahmoud Ali likes this.
  14. Thanks for the interest and replies. As always, great knowledge here.
    Have visited Baden twice as mother is from Basle across the border.