What are we drinking for the w/e 4/5th of June?

Roederer (aged a couple of years) with lobster from the market prepared a la printaniere with a little bit more. Desert was British strawberries which is probably the best desert you may have at the moment.
We then went to Kenwood house which has been restored. Always a great place where "guards" are very keen to talk to yoou about the paintings followed by a walk in HH where natue is about 1-2 months behind with Rhododendrons still in flowers.
Had a cousin from Paris visiting us.

Am dining in Les Millesime in Chambolle Musigny tonight. I will probably order a Vincent Dancer Tete Du Clos Chassagne and a Michel Magnien Chambolle Fremiers, and bring back to the hotel what I'd don't finish. It is a one mile walk from my hotel - Hotel de Vougeot. It is up hill there, so when I arrive I will be hungry and thirsty. The hotel and restaurant were recommended by Antoine.

Yes sad about the Rhys especially after a beautiful (though young) 2012 Alpine recently.

The Ponsot was a darker colour (light-mid gold) I had expected though much fresher than it looked. For me the profile was roughly as I expected - good minerality, quite rich with citrus and grapefruit notes - but definitely with apparent signs of maturity.

I had been planning to cellar my other four bottles long term as I heard the wine can become very interesting but based on this showing I might be tempted not to. However it is Aligote not Chardonnay, so harder to guess on the path from here. The cork was an Areea Seal (synthetic cork) which generated much speculation too. Ideas/thoughts welcome!

Thanks Matt, I have a bottle and a mag, so might investigate the bottle sooner rather than later. Not sure I've had a more mature Aligoté, so good to get your description/thoughts. I'll report back as and when...

Barbequed pork shoulder with a spicy paprika and fennel seed rub matched a 2006 gravonia blanco superbly. What an absolute bargain this wine is. Must get more!

Last edited:
Just got in from a tough day of tasting at the Decanter Italy event in London today so I thought I'd pop the cork on a 2007 Selvapiana Chianti Rufina Riserva "Bucerchiale" to see how it is behaving :)

Not the greatest of bottles this; all elements seem out of the balance. Dumb aromatic profile, pretty light in body, very woody and dry, gritty unripe tannin structure, hot finish. Still got a few bottles of this vintage left so might broach another one in a months time.

Last edited:
An Alain Voge Saint-Péray Les Terres Boisées 2011. Intoxicating full-malo Marsanne notes of candle-wax, creamy butter, blossom & proper bitter almond skin. It's a refined, delicate and refreshing and at its peak. A very good wine. 13% vol. 90pts

Paul Dethune BdN grand cru ambonnay, disgorged in May 2013

The nose is rather refrain, but I quite like the palate, packaged quite well, a good NV.

Pairing with Japanese fried chicken, dim sum, and scot Lochmuir smoked salmon. All half price from different shops.

Yes sad about the Rhys especially after a beautiful (though young) 2012 Alpine recently.

The Ponsot was a darker colour (light-mid gold) than I had expected though much fresher than it looked. For me the profile was roughly as I expected - good minerality, quite rich with citrus and grapefruit notes - but definitely with apparent signs of maturity.

I had been planning to cellar my other four bottles long term as I heard this wine can become very interesting but based on this showing I might be tempted not to. However it is Aligote not Chardonnay, so harder to guess on the path from here. The cork was an Ardea Seal (synthetic cork) which generated much speculation too. Ideas/thoughts welcome!
Thanks for your impressions Matt. I've got 6 bottles of this vintage which I've not broached to date but am taking a bottle to a dinner in early July so will report back on how it performs.

An 02 Mouton for me tonight (first of a case bought on release) and very accomplished it is too, quite approachable with lovely pure blackcurrant fruit, very refined tannins and just a touch of tobaccoey complexity.
This wine has shown very well recently elsewhere Paul. I tried it a few years ago and was most impressed. I like it better than the 04 and 06 Moutons tried this year. The 2006 is regarded by some as potentially the wotv. The 2002 showed very well in a blind tasting across the pond recently against other lauded Moutons.

This wine has shown very well recently elsewhere Paul. I tried it a few years ago and was most impressed. I like it better than the 04 and 06 Moutons tried this year. The 2006 is regarded by some as potentially the wotv. The 2002 showed very well in a blind tasting across the pond recently against other lauded Moutons.

Thanks Ian. I think it was a recent positive comment on here that prompted me to open one, and it didn't disappoint,

Thanks Matt, I have a bottle and a mag, so might investigate the bottle sooner rather than later. Not sure I've had a more mature Aligoté, so good to get your description/thoughts. I'll report back as and when...

Simon / Mark

Will be interested in both of your views when you get to the bottles. It's quite intriguing really - the palate profile of the wine seemed quite terroir rather than grape driven (much resemblance to a 2000 Dujac Chardonnay from same vineyard which prompted me to open this; Will, who was with me, thought also not dissimilar notes to the de Vogue BB); however, I would guess that the colour and aging profile is obviously Aligote-specific and reading around there is a moderate consensus that the wine is best either young or genuinely mature. Then one overlays a techno-cork and fears of premox and it's hard to draw any conclusions!!

Wind Gap Trousseau Gris 2013 in two hours (or less), as I was told it needs drinking the other week on here. Probably a glass from the B-V du Grappin Bagnum we started last night as well.

Always seem to drink a lot of Beaujolais in Paris. Some highlights:

Dom. de la Grand'Cour 'Cuvée Champagne' Fleurie 2014 - ordered this without realising I'd had a bottle recently. So glad I didn't opt for something else though as it was sensational. Don't often see much similarity between Beaujolais and Burgundy but served blind I'm pretty sure I'd have plumped for Chambolle.

Charly Thévenet Régnié 2014 - more structured and more obviously Cru Beaujolais but no less delicious and paired as well with fried whiting as the cheese plate at Le Verre Volé.

Earlier in the week, an 09 Fourrier Clos Solon showing as well as indicated on here last week. Last night, with friends, 98 Lanson Noble Cuvée, Leflaive 09 PM Clavoillon and 09 Chevalier-M, 66 CVNE Vina Real Res Esp, 66 Monte Real Res, 66 CVNE Imperial GR, and halves of 64 CVNE Vina Real Res Esp and Dönnhoff 03 Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Auslese Goldkap. Water tonight.

Always seem to drink a lot of Beaujolais in Paris. Some highlights:

Dom. de la Grand'Cour 'Cuvée Champagne' Fleurie 2014 - ordered this without realising I'd had a bottle recently. So glad I didn't opt for something else though as it was sensational. Don't often see much similarity between Beaujolais and Burgundy but served blind I'm pretty sure I'd have plumped for Chambolle.

Charly Thévenet Régnié 2014 - more structured and more obviously Cru Beaujolais but no less delicious and paired as well with fried whiting as the cheese plate at Le Verre Volé.
Dutraive rocks, as they say around here. Where did you hit this time, Dave? [Ah, just did a bit of social media research and found out]. Hope the Canal was lower than the Seine if you are up there.

Enjoyed my first Sauzet on Friday 2011 Bourgogne Blanc La Tufera. Oaky nose to start but the acidity caught up later in the glass. Saturday was a plethora of bbq wines brought by others.
Today, just finishing off a bottle of Tio Pepe 2016 En Rama which was opened on Thursday, freshness gone but still nutty and salty. Still enjoyable in the sun. Followed by a bottle of Bioca Godello chilling in the fridge and if friends come round theres a bottle of Vaudoisey-Creusfond Pommard 2011 to go with some roast lemon chicken.
Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine somewhere, we've been incredibly lucky in Blackpool. Keep thinking I'm on holiday somewhere else.

Enjoyed my first Sauzet on Friday 2011 Bourgogne Blanc La Tufera. Oaky nose to start but the acidity caught up later in the glass. Saturday was a plethora of bbq wines brought by others.
Today, just finishing off a bottle of Tio Pepe 2016 En Rama which was opened on Thursday, freshness gone but still nutty and salty. Still enjoyable in the sun. Followed by a bottle of Bioca Godello chilling in the fridge and if friends come round theres a bottle of Vaudoisey-Creusfond Pommard 2011 to go with some roast lemon chicken.
Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine somewhere, we've been incredibly lucky in Blackpool. Keep thinking I'm on holiday somewhere else.
Nice, Matt. Yes, enjoying it very much. Heading outside with a bottle as I type.................................................................

My parents dropped in, so for an impromptu lunch in the garden (the sun was out!) 2015 Château La Martinette Côtes de Provence Rollier de La Martinette (we're going to run out of this quickly) & 2014 Domaine de la Chaponne Chiroubles La Forge (atypically substantial).
Tonight with lamb, 2011 Terre Inconnue Vin de Table Français Guilhem - as part of considering the recent sampler case offer from Leon.