Travel Any Norwich restaurant reccomendations?

No eaten in that many places yet, but....

Workshop in Earlham Rd. It's just outside the city centre, not far from the Catholic Cathedral. Booking policy is uncertain. If you ask nicely they have allowed BYO too. Quirky place but excellent food.

Grosvenor Fish Bar in town is good. Yo can eat in; and they even have delicacies like cod cheeks.

The Last Wine Bar in St George's St, by the river is nice to - especially the more informal exposed brick wall side. Wine list rather (ironically) uninspiring.

The workshop now has an early closing schedule, so check times. It remains very good indeed tapas style selections with a north African influence (and 3/4 veggie - which is even more useful) - or simple but good pizzas of sized from healthy to table-topper.

Last Wine Bar had serious problems at their last Food standards review (IIRC I think they got a '1'), so I'd be checking for improvement before heading there.

If wanting fancier, then The Wildebeest Arms is most firmly back on track. It's a short (but not walkable) distance out of town. Going back 20 years ago it was a favourite, but has fluctuated a lot over the intervening decades. On our last visit, I said to them it was the best food I've experienced there - ever.

Our village (Trowse) at a walkable distance from the city (near County Hall roundabout) has a craft brewery with local pizza makers 'Brick' serving pizzas on Friday and Saturday. Their pizzas are very good, though their beers aren't in my preferred style(s). A relaxed and spacious vibe (you're eating / drinking in the brewery itself)

For pre-meal Gelato, 'Gelato' on the tiny Opie Street (off Castle Meadow) is the genuine article, run by a Ligurian couple (though his family were originally from Norfolk)

More for the beer than the food, The Belgian Monk have a good range of Belgian beers and often hearty meals.

The Portuguese restaurant Jorges (in a little alcove called Orford Yard, off Castle Meadow) comes highly recoemmended by the Portuguese wife of a work colleague

Not open evenings, but do try the market for lunchtime food if you get the chance. Some really good food, yet still at market prices. Shanghai Kitchen a definite standout, but Lucys excellent for Fish and Chips (just shading the Grosvenor IMO), Sicily market has very hearty pasta, arancini and decent pizzas, Walsingham Farm shop has very good pies (with mash IIRC if eating there), the bun shop is a good option for a lighter bite, plus quite a few more good places beyond that.

Plenty of other good places. Norwich being the main city for miles around tends to mean we'll have more of everything than you'd expect. We just lack the wider ethnic mix other places have.

Last edited:
The workshop now has an early closing schedule, so check times. It remains very good indeed tapas style selections with a north African influence (and 3/4 veggie - which is even more useful) - or simple but good pizzas of sized from healthy to table-topper.

Last Wine Bar had serious problems at their last Food standards review (IIRC I think they got a '1'), so I'd be checking for improvement before heading there.

If wanting fancier, then The Wildebeest Arms is most firmly back on track. It's a short (but not walkable) distance out of town. Going back 20 years ago it was a favourite, but has fluctuated a lot over the intervening decades. On our last visit, I said to them it was the best food I've experienced there - ever.

Our village (Trowse) at a walkable distance from the city (near County Hall roundabout) has a craft brewery with local pizza makers 'Brick' serving pizzas on Friday and Saturday. Their pizzas are very good, though their beers aren't in my preferred style(s). A relaxed and spacious vibe (you're eating / drinking in the brewery itself)

For pre-meal Gelato, 'Gelato' on the tiny Opie Street (off Castle Meadow) is the genuine article, run by a Ligurian couple (though his family were originally from Norfolk)

More for the beer than the food, The Belgian Monk have a good range of Belgian beers and often hearty meals.

The Portuguese restaurant Jorges (in a little alcove called Orford Yard, off Castle Meadow) comes highly recoemmended by the Portuguese wife of a work colleague

Not open evenings, but do try the market for lunchtime food if you get the chance. Some really good food, yet still at market prices. Shanghai Kitchen a definite standout, but Lucys excellent for Fish and Chips (just shading the Grosvenor IMO), Sicily market has very hearty pasta, arancini and decent pizzas, Walsingham Farm shop has very good pies (with mash IIRC if eating there), the bun shop is a good option for a lighter bite, plus quite a few more good places beyond that.

Plenty of other good places. Norwich being the main city for miles around tends to mean we'll have more of everything than you'd expect. We just lack the wider ethnic mix other places have.

I go with most of those Ian, but the Wildebeest Arms has had such a varied life I would not recommend because you never know whether you will get the good or the bad, see Tripadvisor and little it appears has changed, I have been several times over the years and the last visit was dire, so never been back.
Walsingham Farm Shop does indeed do great pies, but is not in Norwich.
I tried Benedicts more bistro than restaurant, before Christmas as it gets such good reviews in fact the best in Norwich, good food short wine list, nothing memorable, and one of those places that serve really quickly like a canteen, wanting you out for another sitting, wont be going back.
Roger Hickmans is decent, nice surroundings, but expensive for what it is, and dated in the food area, still a lot better than the previous owner who had a Michelin star, God knows how, he had a hygiene problem and only paid attention to you when you ordered an expensive wine which was unfortunate as he insisted on serving it himself, and then returned to his "friends".
The Goulash House in St Stephens Road wont be for those that like plush surroundings but it is an authentic good 'nosh'.
Jorges I have been to, recommend. https://www.jorgesrestaurant.co.uk/

I go with most of those Ian, but the Wildebeest Arms has had such a varied life I would not recommend because you never know whether you will get the good or the bad, see Tripadvisor and little it appears has changed, I have been several times over the years and the last visit was dire, so never been back.
Walsingham Farm Shop does indeed do great pies, but is not in Norwich.
I tried Benedicts more bistro than restaurant, before Christmas as it gets such good reviews in fact the best in Norwich, good food short wine list, nothing memorable, and one of those places that serve really quickly like a canteen, wanting you out for another sitting, wont be going back.
Roger Hickmans is decent, nice surroundings, but expensive for what it is, and dated in the food area, still a lot better than the previous owner who had a Michelin star, God knows how, he had a hygiene problem and only paid attention to you when you ordered an expensive wine which was unfortunate as he insisted on serving it himself, and then returned to his "friends".
The Goulash House in St Stephens Road wont be for those that like plush surroundings but it is an authentic good 'nosh'.
Jorges I have been to, recommend. https://www.jorgesrestaurant.co.uk/

Hi John
I agree the Wildebeest has had many ups and downs, but the current iteration is clearly aiming much higher (and delivering on it). I can see why you'd be put off - but the food is better than it's ever been, so if you've liked it in the past, expect better now. Latest visit 2 weeks ago. It's worth noting that the prices have gone up quite a bit - worth it for the quality IMO, but not really fitting Andrew's brief.

Walsingham farm shop have a stall on Norwich market. It's been there for maybe a couple of years. Jarrolds corner of the market. IIRC 2 up and 3 along from that corner. There is also the Aussie pie shop 'Flaming Galah's' on Ber Street for a different take on pies.

Interesting comments on Benedicts. They certainly upped their pricing a while back & seemed to be going head to head with Hickman's in that respect. We used to go sometimes on the walk back from work, when it was a lot cheaper. Often decent and decent value, but that was quite a while ago, and they're clearly aiming for something different now. A big LOL from me about your Adlards comment. Went once, needed to eat again after leaving the restaurant.

I really don't know how I've not made it to the Goulash house yet. I'm sure I'd like it. Ditto we've still not been to Baby Buddha on Ber Street, somewhere that always seems to be spoke highly of. It's probably been there a decade and we're always meaning to go!

Please shout if you have a good Thai recommendation. We've not found a good one since Lam Thai on Upper St Giles closed (same lady as originally had Thai Lanna). Thailand out of town in Thorpe area used to be good, but it's a way out of the way for us, and was pretty fully priced as well.

One more suggestion for Andrew - The Kings Arms pub on Hall Road. Decent beers, but they encourage people to get takeaways (fetched or delivered), supplying plates, cutlery, condiments etc. for free. A useful option. If you like vegetarian Indian food, nearby Nemaste village was well-regarded by Indian colleagues at work.

Regards
Ian

Hi John
I agree the Wildebeest has had many ups and downs, but the current iteration is clearly aiming much higher (and delivering on it). I can see why you'd be put off - but the food is better than it's ever been, so if you've liked it in the past, expect better now. Latest visit 2 weeks ago. It's worth noting that the prices have gone up quite a bit - worth it for the quality IMO, but not really fitting Andrew's brief.

Walsingham farm shop have a stall on Norwich market. It's been there for maybe a couple of years. Jarrolds corner of the market. IIRC 2 up and 3 along from that corner. There is also the Aussie pie shop 'Flaming Galah's' on Ber Street for a different take on pies.

Interesting comments on Benedicts. They certainly upped their pricing a while back & seemed to be going head to head with Hickman's in that respect. We used to go sometimes on the walk back from work, when it was a lot cheaper. Often decent and decent value, but that was quite a while ago, and they're clearly aiming for something different now. A big LOL from me about your Adlards comment. Went once, needed to eat again after leaving the restaurant.

I really don't know how I've not made it to the Goulash house yet. I'm sure I'd like it. Ditto we've still not been to Baby Buddha on Ber Street, somewhere that always seems to be spoke highly of. It's probably been there a decade and we're always meaning to go!

Please shout if you have a good Thai recommendation. We've not found a good one since Lam Thai on Upper St Giles closed (same lady as originally had Thai Lanna). Thailand out of town in Thorpe area used to be good, but it's a way out of the way for us, and was pretty fully priced as well.

One more suggestion for Andrew - The Kings Arms pub on Hall Road. Decent beers, but they encourage people to get takeaways (fetched or delivered), supplying plates, cutlery, condiments etc. for free. A useful option. If you like vegetarian Indian food, nearby Nemaste village was well-regarded by Indian colleagues at work.

Regards
Ian
Thanks for that Ian, I had no idea that Walsingham had a stall in the market but then I had no idea about the cheese stall you mentioned earlier, must try both.
Talking of small dishes a la Adlards, the Neptune in Old Hunstanton has probably the best chef running the place in Norfolk with a Michelin star, but the dishes are minute, sort of nouvelle cuisine seen through binoculars the wrong way round, yet the breakfast was the best I have had anywhere and as much as you like !, there are some decent eateries in Norfolk generally but nearly all outside of Norwich, I think Norwich is improving in the restaurant stakes, it needed to, not unlike Cambridge years ago that didn't really have a single decent restaurant to its name which was unbelievable.