It is Monday - that must mean... midweekers 23rd to 26th August

I threw away the rest of the Musar 2001. I am consoling myself in a glass of the always-wonderful Chateau des Jacques Moulin-a-vent 2018.....

....AND..... (I am not sure I should admit this) a tin of Aldi Anchovies in olive oil. Superb quality..... 49p well spent. Much better than the anchovies we buy from a local spanish importer and about 400 billion times the price.

While I am in a confessional mood - we also have a bottle of Aldi Clare Valley Riesling (£6) that is actually decent-enough. Not quite Grosset Polish Hill....but with cheap anchovies they work a treat.

Also knuckling down to season 2 of Gomorrah..... ooof.

Trying my first of these having seen Graeme's note the other week - drinking well. I'm sure the volcanic metaphors have all been used for this but it has a iron fist in a velvet glove aspect - contemplative deep but also a little austere

• 2016 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso Calderara Sottana - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (8/26/2021)
    First of a case

Colour is classic pale ruby, very translucent
    Nose is wonderfully herbal - thyme, mint, rosemary - followed by sweet red fruit, ripe red plum, cherry, balsamic and a little clove spice - lovely!

Palate brings dark cherry, raspberry, some cedar and tobacco and some earthiness. High acidity and soft but present tannins. A long finish that cuts through it all

A lot to like here with a good level of complexity but the finish is quite austere, though not so much to throw off the balance and improves with air. I wine that deserve contemplation but would shine more with food. I like it (92 pts.)
    1e5b518e-51ac-4245-8517-649f1fa0436c.jpg
Posted from CellarTracker

Trying my first of these having seen Graeme's note the other week - drinking well. I'm sure the volcanic metaphors have all been used for this but it has a iron fist in a velvet glove aspect - contemplative deep but also a little austere

• 2016 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso Calderara Sottana - Italy, Sicily, Etna DOC (8/26/2021)
    First of a case

Colour is classic pale ruby, very translucent
    Nose is wonderfully herbal - thyme, mint, rosemary - followed by sweet red fruit, ripe red plum, cherry, balsamic and a little clove spice - lovely!

Palate brings dark cherry, raspberry, some cedar and tobacco and some earthiness. High acidity and soft but present tannins. A long finish that cuts through it all

A lot to like here with a good level of complexity but the finish is quite austere, though not so much to throw off the balance and improves with air. I wine that deserve contemplation but would shine more with food. I like it (92 pts.)
    1e5b518e-51ac-4245-8517-649f1fa0436c.jpg
This is great, thanks to you and Graeme too whose note I read the other day. I have some of this too.
My experience of Terre nere is that I don’t think I’ve ever had one that has quite lost the austerity. (I’m working my way through 2008/2009 or thereabouts at the moment). You get incredible fragrance and all sorts of other things but I’ve never quite felt I had one bang in a sweet spot of maturity where things have entirely settled down. Maybe there isn’t one. I suspect there isn’t in the sense that that’s just the style. And to be honest there’s a lot to be said for it.

Dinner at Terra Rossa, N1, last night with a distinguished forumite. We didn’t get through all these and the Germans were only 8.5% and 8% respectively, the Bramaterra 12%, and the Feyles 13.5%. The star here was the subliminal Spatlese, while the auslese was marked by sweet banana candy notes. The Bramaterra was youthful and lean, with bright cherry cola, and is likely to become more interesting as it ages. The Feyles showed promise on opening at home but is an old relic, which decided to go off piste and did not come back. Shame that the last bottle was disappointing, others have been better, and will probably never see this wine again.

B833419A-DC99-4BDE-B9C2-1945009568D7.jpeg

View attachment 20825

A gloriously fragrant nose upon first opening, really evocative in a whole cluster sort of way. Light and quite ethereal on the palate too. After 30 minutes or so it puts on weight, loses the floaty nose, and sweetens on the palate. Will see how this holds overnight, but it’s off to a decent start.
  • 2012 J. K. Carriere Pinot Noir Shea Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (26/08/2021)
    A gloriously fragrant nose upon first opening, really evocative in a whole cluster sort of way. Light and quite ethereal on the palate too. After 30 minutes or so it puts on weight, loses the floaty nose, and sweetens on the palate. Will see how this holds overnight, but it’s off to a decent start. Next day, the fragrance is back, and it seems to have lightened a little and reverted to the stemmy, floral lift with a touch of orange peel without losing the sweetness of fruit. Really very attractive. **** (91 pts.)