NWR Kitchen Thread

Can only imagine the size of the cable connecting a big induction hob to the power supply in North America... With 110v they will draw a massive current.
There is a c. 240V feed for ovens, cooktops and clothes dryers. (I have been tempted to run a 240V feed to a UK socket for a toaster and kettle too as the 110V models are frustratingly slow/ineffective)

Last edited:
Just as a general note, I have found there to be a big delay, increasing lead t8mes in sourcing products.
I have just ordered our new Britannia ranger cooker and opened for ex display rather than the mystery.
Same with Bosch proudcts and many others I suspect.
Speaking to the owner of a garden centre haulage costs have currently spiked nationally , as well as freight from inter alia china

Yes, same here, on everything. We waited 8 months for a basic fridge replacement last year at the old house. We are planning for the kitchen renovation in the autumn so that we can order everything well in advance. Appliance retailers here are saying not to expect anything before July.

Cooker? Bloody newfangled jargon.

What's wrong with hearth?
I do vividly remember the description of the difference between an oven and a cooker in Danny The Champion of the World, which I must have read at around age 8. It had never occurred to me before that that they were different things.

. . . just as I'd like a freezer with varied coldness areas so that ice creams and sorbets could always be at the perfect temperature.
Not sure if you were intending to say you’d like it if one were available, or simply that you have a vague desire for one that is available. Anyway, I thought it worth pointing out that at least two brands provide compartments in which the specific temperature can be set, with a range from normal freezer temperatures through to well above freezing.

Everyone here was probably well aware of this, but I did not realise until looking at options recently; posted just in case I am not the only one.

We have a tiny kitchen which we haven't touched since we moved into our house. It has old gloss units, a new world gas cooker, damaged mouldy laminate counter, and an undercounter fridge with busted door seal stacked on top of an undercounter freezer. It is safe to say that it is time to upgrade it with new units and appliances. We are however looking to move house in the next year or two, so don't want to overpay for things that we won't get the money back on in the future (within reason). Doing nothing isn't really an option as the existing kitchen is really quite horrible.

We had a quote from Howdens through the builder who did our garage conversion, however didn't feel it offered more for the price than the units we had installed in our utility sourced through DIY-Kitchens. I've had a play with the design tool on their website and come up with the below:

diy-kitchens-Kitchen-2022-09-05 14_13.png

1662387417061.png

My questions for the hive are as follows:
1. Is 890mm a wide enough gap to leave for a walk-way through into the dining area between my sink and dishwasher (stand-alone unit on right by front door)?
2. We currently have an undercounter gas double oven with stove, but are keen to go for a separate 60cm induction hob (another flat surface to use for food prep in a limited sized kitchen) and then a double built-in electric oven with microwave above it. Is there much to pick between Bosch/AEG when it comes to ovens/induction hobs/extractor fans? I like the look of the AEG DCE731110M as the top oven also has a fan, which provides an amount of flexibility when it comes to cooking for larger gatherings. We'll need to get a new cable run for the oven/induction hob, so that's one more thing for the electrician to do on top of the lights, sockets etc.
3. Would it be completely unworkable to have a 70cm wide/deep fridge freezer next to the 30cm pull out tall larder unit? My main concern is it would stick out further into the limited kitchen space (especially with 5cm gap behind for ventilation), but with the bonus of giving us additional fridge/freezer space which is something we struggle with now.
4. Wood effect porcelain floor tiles throughout the kitchen and dining room - naff or practical for easy cleaning around a toddler and dog? Any particular recommendations for where they could be sourced?
5. Are there any glaring issues with my kitchen design that people think will make it unworkable, aside from the point above?

I hope there are no objections to abusing your collective wisdom, but will happily delete if so.

We have a tiny kitchen which we haven't touched since we moved into our house. It has old gloss units, a new world gas cooker, damaged mouldy laminate counter, and an undercounter fridge with busted door seal stacked on top of an undercounter freezer. It is safe to say that it is time to upgrade it with new units and appliances. We are however looking to move house in the next year or two, so don't want to overpay for things that we won't get the money back on in the future (within reason). Doing nothing isn't really an option as the existing kitchen is really quite horrible.

We had a quote from Howdens through the builder who did our garage conversion, however didn't feel it offered more for the price than the units we had installed in our utility sourced through DIY-Kitchens. I've had a play with the design tool on their website and come up with the below:

View attachment 27151

View attachment 27152

1. Is 890mm a wide enough gap to leave for a walk-way through into the dining area between my sink and dishwasher (stand-alone unit on right by front door)?
2. We currently have an undercounter gas double oven with stove, but are keen to go for a separate 60cm induction hob (another flat surface to use for food prep in a limited sized kitchen) and then a double built-in electric oven with microwave above it. Is there much to pick between Bosch/AEG when it comes to ovens/induction hobs/extractor fans? I like the look of the AEG DCE731110M as the top oven also has a fan, which provides an amount of flexibility when it comes to cooking for larger gatherings. We'll need to get a new cable run for the oven/induction hob, so that's one more thing for the electrician to do on top of the lights, sockets etc.
3. Would it be completely unworkable to have a 70cm wide/deep fridge freezer next to the 30cm pull out tall larder unit? My main concern is it would stick out further into the limited kitchen space (especially with 5cm gap behind for ventilation), but with the bonus of giving us additional fridge/freezer space which is something we struggle with now.
4. Wood effect porcelain floor tiles throughout the kitchen and dining room - naff or practical for easy cleaning around a toddler and dog? Any particular recommendations for where they could be sourced?
5. Are there any glaring issues with my kitchen design that people think will make it unworkable, aside from the point above?

I hope there are no objections to abusing your collective wisdom, but will happily delete if so.
Just did my house...

1. Yes it is. Mind that only 1 person at a time can squeeze through. In a kitchen is not ideal because there are many people roaming around
2. Bosch/AEG. Bosch is normally considered a superior brand. Though they are more of an washing maschine/Tumble Dryer and fridge brand. I would not doubt their quality. AEG is perfectly acceptable if not very good in its own right
3. Where else the fridge would be? Also you don't really need to leave the full 5cm if the appliance is not integrated.
4. We got ours from Mandarin stone. I would not go for wood (personal taste) rather something that matches some other features of the house...
5. You have a very limited working surface but I guess you knew that from the start. Otherwise it is well thought out.

Last edited:
0 - there is a huge amount of joy to be had from a small, well designed kitchen. Well done!
1 - We had a smaller gap in my girlfriend (now happily wife)'s kitchen - snug but entirely doable.
2 - Can't speak to the brands but if cost is a big factor, maybe look on ebay for second hand stuff.
2.1 - No help to you but in the US wall mounted microwaves with an extractor on the underside are popular. They would work really well in your design I think.
2.2 - if you've not used induction before - it's awesome. It also reduced the amount of extraction you need because you're not burning stuff all the time. I am a broken record on this but...I can melt butter on the hob without ever burning it. Now - "why would you want to?" is a valid question but...it brings me such joy.
3 - not sure but you'd probably need to put the fridge / freezer handles on the other side.
4 - I was of the mistaken opinion that they were incorrigibly naff. My sister has them and they rock.
5 - is the thing behind the sink a counter that you can sit at, or additional storage? is there room for both?

Clearly space is a premium here - one thing I'd think about is what is going to stay on the worktops - mixer / knife block / toaster / kettle etc etc. They're spendy but we had an integrated boiling water tap and it's awesome and saves more working surface space

View attachment 27151

View attachment 27152

Point 5 - do you need the sink and dishwasher separate? Could they be placed adjacent to each other as they both require fresh water and waste plumbed to them. Would be more straightforward (and cheaper) using the same services.

Given the layout leading into your dining room, and if it isn’t a practical impossibility, I would probably try to have empty countertop or the induction hob opposite the fridge. That way you could watch your toddler/guests while cooking.

Having once had a very narrow NYC galley kitchen, I will say that they can be extremely efficient for cooking but less so for avoiding bumping into your partner.

If you haven’t already considered it, cork floor tiles can look good, are relatively economical, cheap to put down, pleasantly springy underfoot, and when you drop something it usually doesn’t break!

1) as others have said, that’ll be fine.
I recently had a new kitchen done and I have a 940mm walkthrough which is plenty big enough for 2 people to pass through. With a stool sometimes placed at the end of our peninsular the opening is 620 and I can still comfortably walk through that

2) I used to have your suggested set up for integrated oven and microwave which I found comes with some pros and cons.
AEG is perfectly acceptable as a brand and that oven looks pretty good but it’s a good idea to go have a look at one in the flesh to gauge the size of the second oven (which looks adequate in images) to make sure you’d be able to get use from it. I used to have a double oven but found I didn’t use the top one as it didn’t have much space after one pan/dish had gone in (and it didn’t have a fan either)
The microwave we had also was a fan oven so gave some more cooking flexibility although the downside being you have to wait for the oven to cool if you need to use it as a microwave so it was mainly used as an expensive integrated microwave really.
I now have 2 singles ovens which is much more useful when cooking roasts/entertaining with a worktop
Microwave now but I appreciate its not likely to work for you
If you were to ever need more cooking space, have a look into air fryers as they can be very useful and can be stored away elsewhere to make space to keep for when needed.
Like Leon, I’m a recent induction hob convert. Easy to use, easy to clean and like you said, gives additional workspace too. Definitely worth the switch and added bonus with gas prices doing nothing but going up (albeit electricity prices follow)

3) fridge is a tough one. The bigger the better but you don’t want it to dominate the room or take up too much space. At the same time, an integrated 50:50/60:40 FF rarely is sufficient enough for a growing family
I think a 700mm standalone should be fine
Is the 300mm larder unit essential?
You could shift the oven tower to the end and give yourself 300mm more work surface and upper and lower units so you don’t lose much on storage and gain workspace… You could even have a slimline wine fridge in there ;)
jokes aside, you might save a bit by taking out the larder as I’d assume it’s a pullout mechanism.

4) I went with LVT flooring. Plenty of places on the internet to supply it. Very durable, won’t crack if you drop heavy pots or pans on it, soft for a toddler to crawl/toddle around on, fairly easy to install and comes in plenty of finishes.

5) go for a large single sink bowl rather than the 1.5 set up in the plan. Much better for fitting in dishes and makes a lot less mess when washing up.
Could you get another wall unit to mirror unit 1 (corner unit with 8?) for more storage as it looks like there’s a pillar there to accommodate it?

2 - Can't speak to the brands but if cost is a big factor, maybe look on ebay for second hand stuff.

5 - is the thing behind the sink a counter that you can sit at, or additional storage? is there room for both?

Clearly space is a premium here - one thing I'd think about is what is going to stay on the worktops - mixer / knife block / toaster / kettle etc etc. They're spendy but we had an integrated boiling water tap and it's awesome and saves more working surface space
2 - You're speaking my language! I picked up a Bosch dishwasher and microwave from Amazon Warehouse when they had 20% off. I'm keeping an eye out on the usual suspects for my flooring needs, but think for the more expensive appliances I'll end up buying new for warranty purposes.

5 - we're going to have a 1m wide 30cm deep cabinet there - I figured it means I can put a child lock on it and use it for my spirits/wine glasses etc and then get rid of a cabinet from the dining room. The plan is to also get rid of a book case from the corner of the dining room (other side of the wall from the cabinet labelled 8) and then allow us to stick an extending table against that wall, instead of the 6 person table we currently have bang in the middle of the room, and only use the full length of once a month or so.

Good thinking on the knife block - I think I should be able to get a magnetic knife rack on the wall above 9 and below the opening door of cabinet 8. Kettle, toaster, and Sage coffee machine will need homes, but think the integrated boiling water tap may need to wait for the next house.