Kumeu River 2020

The last full case of Mate´s Vineyard I bought in 2016, the 2014 vintage cost me £264.60.

5 years later it's £420.

One reviewer gave the Mate´s 2020 100pts and now it's sold out basically everywhere.

Thoughts? Was it underpriced and now correcting?

The 2014 Mate bought from TWS back at the time was £28.95 so the price you quote is surprisingly low. EDIT I’ve checked it was £30 and the 2012 was £29.

You’re now quoting £35 a bottle for the 2020 - that’s still a decent price for the wine.

Im not as much of a fanboy of the stuff as many on here - some will claim is the finest New World Chardonnay bar none! - but it still seems a reasonable price for the stuff.

I wonder if TWS will be offering it again this year as they have since the year dot ….. it wasn’t on their website yesterday.

Last edited:
Farr had it a few weeks back on release at £360, and sold 100+ cases of the Mate’s (and plenty more of the others) inside the first 24 hours, hence the price increase.

Does seem to be getting more and more attention so feels like the price is only going to go one way…

Ten+ years ago it was a bargain. In the last five years or so it's received a lot of international attention from wine writers and critics (talking it up) and the prices have crept. It's still decent value for what it provides IMO, although there are now far more NW Chardonnay contenders for its (justifiably) lauded position.

there are now far more NW Chardonnay contenders for its (justifiably) lauded position.
It's pretty cheap still in comparison to nearly all the others, though, it seems to me, and there are very few others which deliberately aim to emulate many aspects of white burgundy; which may or may not be an advantage according to one's point of view(I greatly sympathise with both).

On reflection yes it's been a bit of a bargain for a long time, I just managed to find some at release price, had to also purchase a full case of the Estate too, which is fine by me as I'd intended on picking this up anyway.

I bought some older vintages recently (mix of different wines, not just Mate’s). Talking to the person I bought them from (who has championed KR for many years) he said not to bother with the 2020’s. His reasoning was that recent reviews had pushed the prices of the 2020’s up to silly levels, particularly the Mate’s.

Personally, I am a fan but to be honest I think that the majority of it gets drunk too young. Had a bottle of ‘13 a couple of weeks ago and it was in a good place but still could do with some more time. I will give my next bottle a decant and see how I get on. In regards to the price, you would be hard pressed to get an equivalent good village Puligny or Montrachet at the same price, so whilst it has certainly crept up in price over the years it still works as a decent bargain IMHO

I think it’s reasonably priced for the quality and acclaim but no longer the total bargain it once was
top Vintages seem fairly frequent now in NZ too
im a fan of the Hunting Hill wine which has a bit more finesse than either Matés or Coddington
I agree. Of the three, I also prefer the Hunting Hill. On a side note, I knew Matés and he was a true gentleman. Such a passionate proponent of NZ wines. He’d have been so proud of what his son Michael has achieved since taking over the family business.

Ben, care to share what you think the other contenders would be?
I think most people with broad tasting experience in ANZ Chardonnay would at least put Tapanappa Tiers, Penfolds Bin A, Cullen Kevin John, Pierro, Giaconda and Leeuwin in the top tier. I certainly would, although I'm not much of a Giaconda fan personally, and I'd add Lethbridge's Allegra to the list. Granted, many of these fetch higher prices than Kumeu River's Matés or HH, which is partly why Kumeu River still offers good value IMO. (On a separate note, I do find many people prefer the HH, and I agree that it can be more elegant - especially when young - than the Matés).

It's pretty cheap still in comparison to nearly all the others, though, it seems to me, and there are very few others which deliberately aim to emulate many aspects of white burgundy; which may or may not be an advantage according to one's point of view(I greatly sympathise with both).
I'd say there are numerous that aim to emulate the style of white Burgundy these days. I'd put Dog Point, Lethbridge Allegra, Savaterre, Holyman, Dappled, Hoddles Creek's Syberia, Tapanappa Tiers, Penfolds Bin A... in this category, though they do obviously have characteristics that also set them apart from white Burgundy too. Some of these are at the same price or cheaper than Matés.