NWR the Cycling Thread

Another frustrating act of incompetence from a motorbike rider. Really took the shine off what should have been a brilliant stage.

Yup, just ridiculous that at that point in the race when the main teams are trying to get their main men to the front for the Blockhaus climb that a Police Rider then stops on a fairly narrow road for no apparent reason, he could have stopped safely only a few hundred yards later according to reports.

Orica not happy with Movistar pushing on but Sky seem OK with it.

Great stage for Quintana but more so Pinot and especially Dumoulin who are good and great TT'ers.

Mollema was keeping up well, lets see how he keeps it going.

Yes I'm undecided on Moviestar, but on balance I'm not sure it should be down to the teams to exercise 'sportsmanship' when the organisation lets the race down. Yes they could have slowed down to take stock and allow riders to rejoin, and it's a shame that they carried on at full pelt (undoubtedly knowing very quickly what had happened).

To my mind the race organisation damaged the race, so is up to them to do what they can to put it right. That's tough to do - after all there was still a lot of moaning going on after they neutralised the positions at the time of the Froome 'running man' incident. However for me this is a crucial aspect - if a rider has a mechanical or it is a genuine racing accident, then I think there is scope for the leading riders to 'play fair' if they wish, knowing that the peloton has a memory and is a very political beast. Making friends in the short term can bring later success. Make enemies and it can be difficult. Conversely if the race organisers mess it up, then they really have the duty to resolve it, but I really wouldn't expect it - that TdF with Froome and Yates' deflated inflatable were rare instances of common sense. Plenty of other scenarios in other races where the riders have lost time, skin, teeth without even an apology.

So I don't want to criticise Movistar. They didn't cause the problem, but the race organisation/support did. My gripe is with them.

Yes Bob, very interesting on those days where the breakaway is more like an advanced mini peloton. A day to see where potential alliances are forming, though I think many teams were just seeing what opportunities may arise. Slowly building the enthusiasm for this Giro up again after the earlier debacle.

Yup Fraile was very strong yesterday and deserved that win, he really put the work in.

Gaviria is in stellar form at the moment, interesting dynamic in the Quickstep team!

Another very nasty and completely avoidable crash today-Kangert (Astana) with a fracture dislocation hitting a huge road sign without any markings.
In my opinion the frequency and nature of these "accidents" is now beyond a joke. I'm really fed up with the lax attitude to safety, its utterly irresponsible and it really is about time that riders welfare became the number 1 priority, period.

If not it won't be long before someone pays the ultimate price, wait a minute thats already happened. And not once.

John

John
I agree, much more could be done not just there, but also on some bl**dy scary corners where there is some very unforgiving concrete / armco.
Difficult to tell for sure even on the replays, but I suppose a tired rider didn't read it as well as normal, and probably too tight for the whistle-blowing flag waving marshalls... but that makes it all the move important to have blow up cover that can be popped over the sign to give some cushioning.

On a more positive note, credit to Dumoulin for waiting, ironically for the leader of the team who didn't observe such niceties earlier in the race. He does impress in how he goes about things, and difficult not to warm to him.

regards
Ian

Yup Kangerts crash looked horrific today, he was really lucky it wasn't worse.

All the riders were on the edge it was a very quick day from start to finish, the break didn't get away until over 100Km's into the stage and the pace remained really high.

I think Rob Hatch said the average speed was over 50Km/Hr!! For a grand tour in its 2nd week and a lumpy stage that is very speedy. So the riders as Ian said were tired and at their top end of speed, Formolo, Quintana, Elisand and a few others all crashed today with varying damage done.

It was very absorbing to watch though, classy move by Dumoulin to wait for Quintana and a great win by Jungels.

Already looks to be a fascinating stage in prospect today. Quintana needs to attack hard if he retains GC aspirations. I expect Dumoulin to be alone at the foot of the final climb which will mean he will have to do all the work himself if he is to remain in pink.

Could be the best day's racing in 2017.
Sat here with a 2014 Cantina Terlan Terlano Terlaner Classico to hand. The nearest to the stage, geographically, Italian wine I have. Tasty beverage, but one of those new-fangled bottles which doesn't fully fit into the cooler.

Could be the best day's racing in 2017.
Sat here with a 2014 Cantina Terlan Terlano Terlaner Classico to hand. The nearest to the stage, geographically, Italian wine I have. Tasty beverage, but one of those new-fangled bottles which doesn't fully fit into the cooler.

I know you're not complaining but "new-fangled-bottle-not-fitting-cooler" bears all the hallmarks of a 5* 1st world problem! ;o)

I'll have to take in the extended highlights on Eurosport tonight.

How's the training going, Neil?

Well thanks, Mark. Lots of mileage in last few weeks and operation shed lumber making progress but have a couple of weeks away to deal with. Long rides unlikely but will keep swimming / running / static bike where I can.

Are you still heading to Bormio? Did I see somewhere you'd not been able to get out on a bike much? Hope all OK.

Neil, no Stelvio for me, though spending the day motivating my mates. :cool: Been warned off my bike by the GP. So reduced to 3 or 4 short rides per week & any climbs taken on the granny ring.
Lovely weather for the riders, today. Though 5C at the top, so a cold descent.

Shameful from Nibali, Quintana and Zakarin, instructing team-mates to ride when the pink jersey had to stop for a toilet break. After the sporting actions of Dumoulin on the earlier stage, that is appalling. No class.

The stupid thing is, that had they waited up, they could probably still have dropped a guy who presumably has 'the runs', but instead they've chosen to shame themselves.

Agreed. Zakarin in particular who appeared to initiate the first attack. It has however completely opened up the Giro. Tomorrow will be another good stage. Quintana and Nibali still need to push on. However, Domoulin will be super motivated given what happened today.