The Riesling Thread.

My TNs from the well put together HR tasting.
  • 2016 Georg Mosbacher Forster Ungeheuer Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Pfalz (03/05/2021)
    Bright yellow; ripe, whiff of honey; med-full bodied, rounded, touch of spice; weighty, long finish. (88 pts.)
  • 2017 Kühling-Gillot Ölberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen (03/05/2021)
    Shade pale; lithe, delicate; on the lighter side, refreshing acidity, refined; precise, extended finish. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen (03/05/2021)
    Bright yellow; forceful nose, hessian, sandstone, big; blunt, dusty, not pristine, reductive. (88 pts.)
  • 2016 Weingut Knewitz Riesling Steinacker - Germany, Rheinhessen (03/05/2021)Another bright yellow; some reduction (blows off), sandstone, penetrating, 'minerality'; chalky, bracing acidity, breezy salinity; driven finish. Merits more time. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (03/05/2021)Paler. Floral nose, yet steely; lively palate, develops a citrusy attack; tremendous nervosity. Needs plenty of time. (90 pts.)
  • 2013 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (03/05/2021)Yet another bright yellow; floral, spicy, wet slate; broad (in MM terms), touch of ripe sweetness, lovely filigree, delicate texture. Delightful extended finish. Drink over the next 5 years. (94 pts.)Posted from CellarTracker
Schloss Lieser ending up as my favourite on the evening reflects my preference for Mosel & off-dry/QMP 'sweet' wines. Whilst I can & do enjoy GGs they remain hit & miss for me. Moreover, they are not cheap (reflecting that the best grapes are selected, more often than not).

Back agin! I do not usually post notes on newer vintages unless at an in-store tasting or meeting with a rep.

2018 Willi Haag Veldenz Riesling Grauschiefer Alto Reben Feinherb, Mosel.

SC, $27 Cda, 11.5% alc. Pale medium color with some hints of petulance. . Nose was OK but not striking..lime, mineral, no petrol, green fruits I`d say. Initial entry thought is some sweetness, low acidity, not great length at all. Thought this would be a lot drier?? Good but not great..food was chicken cordon blue.

This wine has been drinking well from release.It is very hard to forget and lay down.
nose is very classy, initial petrol blew off to release citrus, white peach , stone fruits, slight hint of tropical coconut and lychees.
lots of layers of complex ,mineral ,slate and smoke ,persistent length not the vintage acidity like 07 but balanced and pleasantly fine.
I think it will continue to develop gracefully without doubt but today it is between the young and starting a mature life but no limes in sight just yet. 25F97271-3395-4634-B3CB-24AC2E1BA943.jpeg

• 2017 Schäfer-Fröhlich Schloßböckelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe (03/05/2021)Paler. Floral nose, yet steely; lively palate, develops a citrusy attack; tremendous nervosity. Needs plenty of time. (90 pts.)
This afternoon I opened the 2005 version of this wine -- it is one of the greatest dry Rieslings I've ever experienced.* Because Tim leaves his wines on the lies so long, you have to age them a long time, as you say, Mark.

Every year at the Wiesbaden GG preview, there is a small number of producers that stand out, and Schäfer-Fröhlich is always in that group.

This wine has been drinking well from release.It is very hard to forget and lay down.
nose is very classy, initial petrol blew off to release citrus, white peach , stone fruits, slight hint of tropical coconut and lychees.
lots of layers of complex ,mineral ,slate and smoke ,persistent length not the vintage acidity like 07 but balanced and pleasantly fine.
I think it will continue to develop gracefully without doubt but today it is between the young and starting a mature life but no limes in sight just yet. View attachment 18991
Love Zilliken - beautiful wines.

This afternoon I opened the 2005 version of this wine -- it is one of the greatest dry Rieslings I've ever experienced.* Because Tim leaves his wines on the lies so long, you have to age them a long time, as you say, Mark.

Every year at the Wiesbaden GG preview, there is a small number of producers that stand out, and Schäfer-Fröhlich is always in that group.

For me in the above tasting, the Schaefer-Frohlich was my clear choice, followed by Knewitz. I don't know why Schaefer-Frohlich is so overlooked here, as the wines (dry and sweet) are of top rank. That means as good as any of Keller, Egon, ...

Sadly no 2005, but I have stopped drinking my Schaefer-Frohlich 2009 Felseneck GG as the wine is so good and I want at least a couple of bottles to age further. The one problem I have is choosing which of the GG to buy: Felseneck is a simple default choice, but all the others can be so good. I went with Stromberg too in 2018.

Whilst I appreciate the Falkenstein brigade may say otherwise, I reckon Peter Lauer (Florian) is the great pretender to the Mosel Riesling throne.
Recent arrivals merited a run out.

• 2017 Peter Lauer Kupp Riesling Spätlese Faß 7 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (14/05/2021)
    Sunflower yellow; subtlety intriguing, restrained, finessed bouquet; finely chiselled, racy, beautifully balanced, off-dry; thrilling tension on a lingering finish. (94 pts.)
  • 2017 Peter Lauer Kupp Riesling Faß 18 Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (11/05/2021)
    Star bright, buttercup yellow; exquisite bouquet, mix of subtle tropical & nettles; first impression off-dry, so deftly balanced, strawberry & raspberry, faint spritz; finishes dry, without edges. All the elements to age effortlessly. (93 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Mark,
Those Lauer Rieslings GGs are fantastic. Having been introduced to them by Sebastian at Howard Ripley I am a big fan. They have a balance between the austerity of the troken wines while still having rich fruit characteristics.

After the comments following the HR tasting I tried the Wittmann GG and, while having lovely sweet fruit, it didn't seem to have the same complexity or depth as the Lauer wines.

I drank both those vintages of the Krupp GG last week and for me the 2017 shaded it, but possibly only due to the extra year in bottle (plus the bottle was opened 24 hrs before the 2018). But what struck me was the similarities, they were clearly cut from the same cloth with layers of fruit, minerality and great balance.

I would love to try an older vintage to see what these turn into.

Last edited:
Been a while since I've opened a bottle of Austrian riesling:

2008 Weingut Prager Achleiten Riesling Smaragd

PragerS08.jpg

Golden yellow in colour, albeit slightly lighter than the photo would suggest. Slightly tropical nose, combined with a minerality, toastiness and a hint - albeit a very faint one - of petrol. Rich without being too unctuous on the palate; honeyed stone fruit, but with plenty of acidity and enough freshness to prevent it from being cloying. Very faint bitterness on finish. Very enjoyable indeed!

A delicious premier cru from the Westhofen hillsides.
initial yellow but settled to a green gold colour.busy nose of pronounced complex fruits,smoke and crushed stone.
prominant grapefruit and white peach,ripeness and a hint of pineapple.classy concentrated but not exotic or tropical,
lovely balance,freshness and saline finish
I am a huge fan of Wittman ……. Oh and Riesling EA5B9F75-E71A-4309-B599-22F1C7141A12.jpeg

A delicious premier cru from the Westhofen hillsides.
initial yellow but settled to a green gold colour.busy nose of pronounced complex fruits,smoke and crushed stone.
prominant grapefruit and white peach,ripeness and a hint of pineapple.classy concentrated but not exotic or tropical,
lovely balance,freshness and saline finish
I am a huge fan of Wittman ……. Oh and Riesling View attachment 19589
I'm a huge fan of Wittmann, too -- on the same level as Keller (as is Wittmann's neighbor across the street, K.F. Groebe). Much of the Westhofener Riesling is from the Große Lage Morstein vineyard.

The 2 wines were the 2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst R Spatlese with a mixed green salad w shrimp and peach..and the 2017 J J Prum Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spatlese with a roasted corn soup, quacomole and pistachio..no dairy.

2017 J. J. Prum Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese Mosel.

Served with a delicious roasted corn soup (no dairy) with quacamole and pistachios. Pale straw, rich clean nose, mineral, rocky tones, passionfruit. Vibrant palate, so much going on here. Peach, green apple. I would have liked to try an auslese with this soup.

2019 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spatlese, Mosel.

I am a huge WS fan and this wine really hit the spot with a peach and shrimp orange dressing salad. Not as sweet as the Prum.
Pale yellow nose, exotic fruits on the nose with floral, herbal tones. Loved the lemon zest others noted. Medium sweet, ripe acidity 7.5%. Peach lime on the palate, long finish. Yes, it is young but drinks lovely.

I like the Queen Victoriaberg vineyard and have closely followed since Herr Flick took over. 2013 was good, 2016 dry.

2014 Joachim Flick Hochheimer Konigin Victoriaberg Riesling Kabinett, Rheingau.

Medium gold color. Lots going on aromatic-wise....nectarine, lime, hint of petrol, white stonefruit. Entry thought is wow quite sweet! Good acidity though that lingers over 2 days. Medium bodied, lemon, nectarine, spice. It all held up great over 2 days and was quite drinkable without food.

Evening all,
Has any of the Riesling hardcore massive tried weingut Eva Fricke???
I would be interested to note and hear any experience.
I note that she was at weingut leitz As winemaker before going solo in 2011