NWR TV Thread

Big fans here. I presume you also enjoyed "Mum" which has certain similarities.

While on the subject of funny TV, I marvel at how consistent the amusement value of "Would I Lie To You" has been over goodness how many years.
Not seen Mum but will look into that now! Agree, would I lie to you is genius, particularly Bob Mortimer

Whilst I can't really stand Graham Norton nor his show which is just a shop window for anyone in town promoting any thing I was struck by the performance given by Justin Timberlake last Friday.
I am pretty sure not a note was sung live, but it was in the best tradition of top American stars (Michael Jackson, Madonna etc.) who really know just how to put in a performance.
Worth seeking out on Iplayer or YouTube.

Prince and the Revolution live at Syracuse bbc4. I will watch Justin but I bet he doesn’t simulate the sex act as well as Prince. You can enjoy the performance irrespective of the content. Leslie Manville does both.

By episode 5 Expats starring Nicole Kidman on Prime starts to be quite compelling and multi layered storytelling.
Edited to add:
The sixth and final episode is absolutely rubbish!

Last edited:
Yesterday evening I recorded the annual cringe fest otherwise known as ‘The Brits’
We started to watch it too early and quickly caught up so sat through much of it live.
It must be quite a feat of production to deliver something so naff every time.

Yesterday evening I recorded the annual cringe fest otherwise known as ‘The Brits’
We started to watch it too early and quickly caught up so sat through much of it live.
It must be quite a feat of production to deliver something so naff every time.
Sadly the genius idea of inviting Mick Fleetwood and Sam Fox to present the show will never be replicated.

Watching the mid-60's ITC series The Baron. Superb stuff, enhanced by the quite magnificent playing of Edwin Astley's score. ITC really did get the creme de la creme of session musicians in those days, they must have paid very well!

Quite enjoying Constellation on AppleTV. However, I'm slightly dreading the big reveal as I suspect the science behind it is going to horribly garbled, particularly given that they put forward Einstein as an example of someone who delved into quantum mechanics, despite the fact that he was famously sceptical of it ("God does not play dice with the universe").

A Spanish series, Red Queen, has an Lisbeth Salander and Silence of the Lambs vibes, with moments of levity and plenty of gore. The main male lead was Spanish heavyweight boxing champion before turning to acting, which he does very well.

Getting into "The Gone" on iPlayer. Missing young Irish couple in NZ, two detectives with their own demons, whiffs of Irish thuggery and Maori mysticism. Shades of Top of the Lake. Not unique but quite well done so far.

Watched 3 body problem on netflix over the last week. Some irritating plot holes aside, pretty gripping stuff. Very imaginative and quite shocking at times. Certainly doesn’t pull any punches. Impatient to see where the series will go from here but will presumably need to wait a while for s2.

Watched 3 body problem on netflix over the last week. Some irritating plot holes aside, pretty gripping stuff. Very imaginative and quite shocking at times. Certainly doesn’t pull any punches. Impatient to see where the series will go from here but will presumably need to wait a while for s2.
Have you read the books Dan? They are superb. I thought the Tenant Chinese TV produced version was better overall but the Netflix series certainly had its wow moments.

I rather enjoyed Inhuman Resources with Eric Cantona on Netflix, if its not been mentioned before as its a 2020 series.

Gritty, dark and just a bit silly, perfect for watching with a cold Kronenbourg and doing your best Eric impressions. :cool:

Not read the books but certainly thinking about it as I’m too impatient to wait for the tv series!
I've almost finished the first one and wasn't particularly impressed - to the point where I almost finished it quite a while ago and haven't been motivated to go back and actually finish it. Reads a lot like a translation (as it obviously is) - just a pretty clunky one. Hopefully things improve as I went all in and bought the whole series.

Hopefully not 400 years....
Also just finished season 1.
Yeah, plot had more holes than a colander - I wonder if they're better explained in the books? It's always going to be an issue with this kind of Sci-Fi, though, I suppose.
Still a good watch.

Wasn’t convinced I was enjoying it that much then realised I’d watched the whole series without noticing time pass which I think makes it quite good. Struggling a bit with Fallout. Never heard of the game and not really engaging with the characters.

Did a quick search of the thread and can’t see a mention of Midnight Mass. some of the most extraordinary scripting, with long single shot scenes acted brilliantly. The camera work is at times bafflingly clever. The story might slip a little from its potential in the last two episodes but the acting is so good it’s almost spine tingling. I watched it again and thought it even better the second time as I noticed more and more.

Just finished the second season of Extraordinary on Disney+ - about a world where everyone gets a superpower at the age of 18, except the main character, who's still without in her mid-twenties. Very irreverent (one of the characters' superpowers is being able to 3D print things with his butt; the main characters' mum can control electronic devices but she's such a technophobe she doesn't actually know how to use them), frequently very funny, but also often very poignant and quite insightful about the human condition. Reminded me a bit of early Misfits. Sad it's over (or is it?).