NWR TV Thread

You are in London, Warren. Those things need high-speed broadband - either fibre or 4G - for decent resolution. Many people in less (technically) favoured locations don't have those in some way. For example, I don't have anything-G. We are in a not-spot here. When I get home I just switch the phone off. Plus Netflix requires an extra subscription. And YouTube is usually highly compressed, which also affects the resolution when there is lots of motion or frame-to-frame change.

Chipping in a mere eight months late here, but our house in the fishing village of Crail, with no mobile signal and no cable, serves crystal clear Netflix and Amazon prime over internet with no lag or drop out, sharp as a tack. We're with BT and I believe it is fibre to the nearest exchange and then copper into the house, but TV it is brilliantly streamable and Internet super fast too. We briefly switched to the Post Office broadband, with the PO's hub, to save £20 a month, but cancelled within a couple of weeks - absolutely hopeless. Back on BT with their latest hub, and back to immaculate streaming, even in the back of rural beyond.

Chipping in a mere eight months late here

Nineteen actually!!! (Resists temptation to wisecrack on something Rip van Winkelesque)

To be fair, I did point out in my next post that fixed line broadband was the way round that one if you had it, which you obviously do (as indeed I do). Though that is itself a contentious subject. Until recently BT has resisted the installation of FTTP (fibre to the premises) at an affordable rate, forcing us to go with their FTTC (fibre to the cabinet). The last leg of that is over the copper wire from the cabinet. This is where other countries are winning out. You are clearly close enough to the cabinet (or maybe the exchange) to get a good speed. But the speed you get is inversely proportional to your distance from the exchange or the cabinet. In our village, the cabinet is opposite the first house in the village, so those of us on the other side(s) or indeed the centre of the village get a much reduced speed. If BT had moved the cabinet to the centre of the village then all would have been better, but they didn't. Well of course they didn't.

(Delivery over fibre directly doesn't suffer a speed falloff as distance increases.)

There's no way in a million years I would have watched a film about Bros, the eighties pop twin-duo, but a friend told me it was a laugh-a-minute and well worth it. So I did. I recommend others do likewise, it out Spinal-Taps Spinal Tap.

"Bros - After the Screaming Stops" on BBC player currently.

Peter Bradshaw in the Guardian:

"If you can imagine a Traveling Wilburys-type combo of Alan Partridge on drums, Nigel Tufnel on guitar and David Brent on vocals (and maybe Les McQueen as manager), you’ll have some idea of the tragicomic self-importance summoned up by the Bros reunion and the extraordinarily solemn thoughts being shared by the brothers in the run-up to the big show."

Recent highlights for series, not very original:
Killing Eve, just wicked fun.
Rake (Netflix) - late on this one, badly behaved Australian barrister.
Barry (HBO/Amazon) - hitman trying to become an actor, short digestible episodes, maybe more for those who hang out in theatrical circles
And, as ever, The Americans

Yep, Killing Eve was the best thing I watched last year Alistair - wicked and fun is right.

A Brexit movie is just what the world's been waiting for: I shall spurn it like I would a rabid dog Dan ;)

It needs to be understood that this film was finished before incontrovertible evidence of illegal behaviour in the leave campaign was revealed. I do not go along with those who maintain that it doesn't matter.

It needs to be understood that this film was finished before incontrovertible evidence of illegal behaviour in the leave campaign was revealed. I do not go along with those who maintain that it doesn't matter.

The only incontrovertible thing is that allegations have been made against both sides that have yet to be tested in a court of law. I do not go along with those who propose to be police, judge and jury in this or any other matter for a court to decide.

Killing Eve..

I'm almost at the end of the second book. The books are are much better than the TV series, better explanation of the motives of the two protagonists and the underlying plot -- and there's some laugh out loud humour.

Better story too, after the first episode the TV series went its own way. I just re watched the first two TV episodes yesterday

I found this series of Luther to be lacking something compared to the earlier ones. Resting too much on its laurels, perhaps, but the acting and production were good. Style over substance?

Found the same issue with the overworked production of the Agatha Christie ABC murders.

For moody implausibility, Luther has its moments. Even his overcoat is moody. Nobody ever switches the lights on so - like Scandi Noir - it's best watched with all the lights switched off. Missed the last episode due to being out on Friday night, so will watch it on iPlayer.